OT: Network Speed

All of mine can from the £9 one to the £50 one.

Reply to
dennis

I think this is a minimum requirement for a switch. And the reason that a sixteen port switch is more than twce as expensive as an eight port one.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I chose to get two 24 port switches rather than one 48 port one. It wasn't so much the cost, but the extra CPU power needed meant that the 48 port one had a fan - another point of failure, and source of noise.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's because you can buy a single chip that will do eight ports of dumb switch. I don't think you can buy a single chip solution for 16 ports.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , Roger Hayter escribió:

Correct on both counts.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Have you done the experiments? I don't have enough gig-capable gear to be able to run two flat out workloads simultaneously.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The most I've ever had at home is two independent streams at about

80MB/s and 50MB/s (ie probably more than the equivalent of 1Gb/s) through a 16 port unmanaged switch at the same time. Rather a small fraction of what should be possible. But I was talking about minimum published specifications rather than what they can actually do in practice!
Reply to
Roger Hayter