OT More about the EU.

Perhaps, if the governments involved had provided the EU with the figures to back their claims, they might have had a more sympathetic reception. However I suspect that their view is similar to that expressed by the head of the Hadley Centre when asked why he would not release the climate data they used: because our opponents would only use the figures to prove us wrong.

Julia Manning, chief executive of the independent research think tank

2020health said: ?The fact that the NHS fails to keep proper records of overseas visitors who come here from the EU is indicative of two problems: the reluctance of staff to think of the NHS as a business that should be run as efficiently as possible, and a system which depends on governments chasing reimbursement, rather than visitors paying up front and being responsible for ensuring they are repaid.?

The latter was particularly obvious when we had to use French health services and the European Health Insurance Card. We got the same basic services free that any French person would get free, but had to pay for others, for which we got a detailed invoice. It was then up to us to reclaim the costs through the NHS.

So, the problem lies with the NHS, not with the EU.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Unfortunately I cannot read the links as I have exceeded my quote through the new telegraph paywall.

Given your response, I would say the problem lies with Harry, and his ilk.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

He certainly likes to post anything that appears to be anti-EU without actually reading the detail.

The first is a story about the EU requiring immigrants to be kept fully informed of their rights, including rights to benefits. Britain and Germany are among the countries that objected, on the grounds that providing benefits to immigrants was too expensive. The EU asked for figures to back this up but received none. This lead them to suggest that the case was being overstated for political reasons in those countries.

The second story was that the NHS had paid out £900 million for treatment of British abroad, but only received a fraction of that amount for the treatment of other EU nationals in Britain. As well as the comments above, it was pointed out in the article that there are a lot of Britons who have retired to other EU countries and that they are a significant source of this imbalance.

Mind you, I think Harry has a lot of problems if he can post a link to what, from his comments, are probably very graphic images of the Boston bombing.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Man at B&Q posted

First I've heard of this - there doesn't seem to be anything about it on the news page itself. How many pages are we allowed?

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Supposedly 20 a month, but it seems to give more.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Flush cookies for their domain(s)