More about paint

Thanks for the previous answers on paint.

Another question, I'm wanting a ceiling white, but not in flat. Local BM store says most people paint their ceilings, instead of washing them. The don't carry ceiling white, in an eggshell or satin finish. I don't mind cleaning ceilings, rather do that instead of painting them when they're dirty. I realize a satin finish while show flaws more than flat. I plan on having an antique look of knock down texture.

So to the question, does anyone reading this have their ceilings in a satin/eggshell finish? Or, am I just some kind of nut?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Gomba

The lines will show thru on a white ceiling with any gloss, unless you spray.

The only place I wold have an eggshell ceiling is bathrooms, ones with showers, so that it's easier to clean the ceiling mould and other things that come with bathrooms...

Reply to
Duesenberg

I agree with Duesenberg, eggshell non-flat paint should only be used in bathrooms which require relatively frequent ceiling cleaning. I only paint ceilings, never wash/scrub. Painting is so much easier, expecially if you use one of the color-changing ceiling paints.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Not at all uncommon to use a satin or eggshell in kitchens and bathrooms. Both bathrooms in my house are satin. Kitchen is wall-papered (don't ask).

Reply to
clare

But don't ever try to paint a textured cieling with water base paint unless it's had an oil base paint applied previously!!!!

Reply to
clare

I've painted a few ceilings and have never used paint specific for ceilings....and I could never figure out why there was a special paint. Use a paint is best for your taste and application. I use alkyd semi for kitchen and bathroom ceilings, and satin for other living areas should be fine. Prep, as always, carefully and according to label.

Reply to
Norminn

*For the past several years I have used Benjamin Moore Super White in eggshell for all of my ceilings. Most of the lighting here is recessed so it is difficult to see any ceiling variations.
Reply to
John Grabowski

"Ceiling paint" is formulated differently than other paints. It is thicker, to better hide stains. Ceiling paint is usually white to brighten a room and focus attention on the walls and decor. White ceilings also make the room seem larger.

Reply to
HeyBub

Light colors advance, dark ones recede. If you want a really high ceiling, paint it black. Many commercial places do.

Reply to
dadiOH

We put bright white semi-gloss on every ceiling we do. It looks great!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Are your ceilings PERFECTLY flat?: Otherwise, a shiny surface shows all defects in great detail.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Look you can put needy kind of paint you like on a ceilings, But not all paint will have a Warranty of Satisfaction Guaranteed...

Look if you have questions ask, Your Paint Companies, benjaminmoore.com

Who have the right answers....

Not the Local Store that carries the products.. or this News-Groups

Reply to
Hot-Text

That's the exact color from the same vendor we're thinking about. Just finished installing 17 can LED lights on dimmers in various rooms. Was wondering about bounce back from the lighting. Right now, the ceilings are BM flat ceiling white.

Reply to
Gomba

That would be contrary to what one designer said on tv. He said it makes the room seem smaller. I agree with him.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Shadows also show defects, and flat paint seems to amplify that.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I sure don't. Darker ceilings bring them down and make the room seem smaller. ...like a cave. If the ceilings are already 25' up, like they are in large warehouse style structures, maybe, but not standard residential 8-9' ceilings.

Reply to
krw

Nothing like a reflection. Ever into a curvy mirror? There is a reason ceiling paint is almost always flat.

Reply to
krw

no, they are knock down texture. Like the OP said his was.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Dunno. Everytime I paint a ceiling, I'm amazed at how much bigger it is than I thought it was.

Reply to
HeyBub

So do I. So does anyone that paints (artists). So does any knowledgeable photographer, designer, decorator, architect, etc.

Reply to
dadiOH