OT Mobile Broadband usenet on 3

Following tips here on getting a free dongle from 3 - Thanks all.

I've just got mobile broadband working with a 3 network dongle but can't access my fixed ISP's (NTL/virgin) Usenet server. Does 3 have a usenet server I can connect to when mobile? I can't see anything about it on their website?

Any help welcome

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If have seen it suggested on more than one occasion that you can access VMs text only newsgroup servers from outside their network if you enable authentication in your client and use you VM username/password.

Never tried it myself so cannot vouch for it myself.

BW

Reply to
Bambleweeny57

Traditionally you can only access an ISPs newsservers when connected to that ISP. So VM will block access when on Three.

Three do no appear to run any usenet services - so you'll need some sort of proxy to your home if you've a PC on all the time, or use google, or a paid-for service...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

No, 3 don't. I suggest you go to this site and request a free account. I have used it for a couple of years and am well impressed. It is text only but on a mobile dongle that is probably all you want.

Keith W

There are some free public facing ones as well:

John Rumm

When I was using Virgin you could log in using your user name and password. You need to go and tick the box that says "my server requires authentication" and enter the details.

Reply to
dennis

I'm now connected via Albasani when using the dongle.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Junk your ISP's news server because its only for THEIR customers over tTRHEIR wires.

the one I use was free, and easy to sign up for.

The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

I use

(real nntp) - it's free, just need to register. Seems reliable.

Reply to
Tim S

I use news.individual.net not free but only E10/year. Well connected, fast, reliable and very little spam gets through.

Plenty of news servers out there to choose from, using your ISP's one is pretty low down the list these days.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Your welcome. I came across them when I switched to TalkTalk who also do not have a news server.

Reply to
Keith W