OT: maybe the roof ladder is broken

So if I get someone to check my roof should they not walk on it in case they break some tiles. Whats the proper way to do this?

Reply to
ss

Why don't they make programmes like that nowadays? The whole process is shown in a straightforward way. There's no fancy camera work, no silly girls asking stupid questions. Just a bloke who knows what he's doing, doing it. No affectation, no bollocks.

The broadcasters nowadays have no respect for the common man. It's all part of the generalised malaise that afflicts the industry. No wonder so many of us have become sceptical of the political and social mindset that they seem to think represents universal truth.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It is possible to walk on most types of tile without doing damage. You have know which part of the tile to put your weight on. But inevitably you might break tiles. So you simply replace them. Anyone who owns a roof should have 50 spare tiles in the garage. If not you have to look for identical ones, sometimes easy sometimes impossible.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Try it on a tall one with some big overhangs:

John Rumm

Unless of course you are one of these types who puts reign and santas on their roof every Xmas in which caselike a chap in a nearby Close you have the roof ladder permanently installed on your roof. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Martin

Agree entirely -- I've lost count of the "informative" programmes I

*would* have watched in the last few years, which I've turned off almost immediately because of all the fancy bollocks, and the fact that often the presenters seem to be more important than the subject being covered.

Some of it is to do with the fact that they have half an hour's worth of content, which they decide to expand to one hour in order to fill more of the schedules.

J.

Reply to
Another John

Part of the same trend that is seeing DIY dying out.

The program was as much (if not more) about Fred than what he was doing. It would have worked regardless what his working skill was. It was genuinely interesting to just watch him, as evidenced by his subsequent after-dinner speaking career. As such, they stumbled upon someone who was both a superb presentor, and had a skill worth presenting, and that's quite rare.

It would be good to see some programs about specific skills. Some time back, I did see a program about 3 apprentices joining a steeplejack company, and I did find it interesting. It did spend some time on the apprentices' inability to get out of bed in the mornings and other such things, and the slight comedy aspect of the girl being the bravest of them at climbing, but also covered them being taught to erect the ladders, and IIRC, eventually one was offered a job with the company.

Perhaps you and Adam could try approching a presentor and see if they'll follow you around for a month or so and can make a program out of it?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Often easier if the house you are working on is semi-detached :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

True, though the programme makers did milk it towards the end, when Fred was shown sitting by the fire talking about things outside his expertise.

Reply to
Max Demian

On 11 Apr 2015, Bill Wright grunted:

And the programme doesn't run "In this episode we'll follow Fred as he does XYZ, then show a spoiler clip of him doing XYZ; and then start the segment after the first commercial break showing a recap of the first segment followed a spoiler for the upcoming one (and repeat pattern until programme finished). Drives me insane...

Reply to
Lobster

LOL. Yes, factual programmes are getting like that. You forgot: "In last week's episode we saw..." and "Coming up in next week's episode..." :-)

Drives me insane too.

Reply to
NY

No way would I work with a television company again - too many wankers, luvvies and lies.

Reply to
ARW

^ That!

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

He could just be a roofer - they tend to walk all over the roof without much worry. The risk is mainly in the fear of falling.

Then again our pet roofer used to remove strategic tiles and climb on the battens - presumably to avoid damaging the tiles.

I watched from below, ready to steady the ladder if required.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

A compromise: Break a tile and use the half-hole as a foot-hold, leaving it in that state when the scaffolding and ladders come down. As someone did to a neighbour here.

What a professional job :(

Reply to
Mike

Jesus Bill that was deep and profound, ave yer joined libdems

Reply to
critcher

I hope yer having a laugh! I wouldn't be seen dead with them nancys.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Maybe he did the one next door as well looking at the very squiggly cabling sort of clipped to the brickwork.

Reply to
The Other Mike