[OT] Maths GCE O-Level text books from 70s-80s ?

as is AEB IIUC

Reply to
John Rumm

Was that not just additional syllabus at the ordinary level?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Which would make it more difficult (advanced) would it not? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

It was regarded as a intermediate qualification between 'O' and 'A' level.

I thought they were more like the current 'AS' level? Except harder of course! :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

'Elementary Analysis' by Dakin & Porter for O-Level maths?

pamela

I did the AO Maths - it was mostly additional material (IIRC stuff like more probability, matrices, calculus) - some would have given a softer start to A Level.

Next time I'm up at ULCC, I'll nip into Senate House (Uni London) Library and see if I can access the past papers from O and AO level - a chap at Edexcel/Pearson tells me Senate have all the pre 1990 past papers.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Possibly different terms used by different boards. With Oxford Local it was "Additional Mathematics"; but I like to think it was harder than "Mathematics" ;)

Reply to
Robin

We did O-level Maths at 15 and then prepared for the Additional Maths O-level (Oxford Board) at 16. That included calculus and probably other stuff that it's too long ago for me to remember what it was.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Same here. We did most of our O-levels at 15, then bummed around for a year (only did two the following year as I recall, one being Additional Maths).

That subsequent year we did a lot of interesting, off-curriculum stuff (e.g. in chemistry, made a fuel cell).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Maybe but it may just be the same level but covering additional stuff. I expect that some pupils found it to be advanced and some didn't.

Reply to
dennis