OT: mathematical conundrum

Any strictly periodic phenomena, actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The question is imprecise. i is not *the* square root of -1, it is *a* square root of -1.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

and the others are?

Reply to
charles

And the others are *what*, precisely?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Can you be a little more specific on the very definition of "i"?

I'm left wondering what other square roots of -1 there are?

Reply to
Fredxxx

The other is -i

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Can you explain why (-i)^2 != 1 ?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, but not as well as others, so...

Section 1, 'Definition'.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Ah, OK. I assumed, wrongly, that negative numbers would stay negative numbers. And it's a long time since I took A-level maths.

Should've been 'imaginary numbers', not negative.

By the definition of ^2,

(-i)^2 == (-i)*(-i) (Definition of squaring) == (-1*i)*(-1*i) Expanding -i to -1*i == -1*i*-1*i * is associative == -1*-1*i*i Relying on the fact that the middle * is commutative == (-1*-1)*(i*i) For clarity == (1)*(i*i) -1*-1 is 1 == (i*i) ... and we can drop the 1 == -1 By definition of i != 1

QED.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

(-1)^2 = (-i) x (-i) = (-1 x i) x (-1 x i) = (-1 x -1) x (i x i) = (1) x (i^2) = 1 x -1 = -1

as ene skoolboy kno.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Or in short, the 2 -ves, squared, become +1 leaving i2 with is -1.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Interesting link, I've used i quite a bit in programming but never realized the functional equivalency -i and i. This quote from that article is pretty cool. "Attempting to apply the calculation rules of the principal (real) square root function to manipulate the principal branch of the complex square root function will produce false results:"

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Like broken electoral promises you mean?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The number of roots is the same as the highest power in any polynomial (fundamental theorem of algebra) so there are no others.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I was half believing you were correct on the basis of phase, where i was

90degs and -i was 270degs. Doubling of angle would lead to -1 in both cases. Its a long time since I dealt with anything so esoteric.
Reply to
Fredxxx

Well they certainly are in some imaginary dimension, yes.:-0)

It still amazes me that people vote for what they are *promised* (Love peace on earth, goodwill to all men, social justice and tolerance, intentional harmony) instead of what they must know they will get (societal destruction, mass immigration, hatred, bigotry, loss of earnings, loss of freedom, serfdom under a European superstate) etc.

Hey, If I promise unlimited national health heroin, people can vote for me, be happy AND get what they were promised!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess that would be ignoring roots consisting of complex numbers.

Reply to
pamela

No. You've already had the example of -1 having two square roots, both complex.

The circle showing the N Nth roots of 1 is a standard thing when introducing complex numbers - 2 square roots (1,-1), 3 cube (1, -0.5 += .866 i), 4 fourth (1,i,-1,-i) etc. (stops before having to work out what sin and cos 108 degrees is...)

Reply to
Clive George