OT: Marmite

For the Marmite fans among us: I keep meaning to communicate this good news, and forgetting.

As you will know only too well, fellows fans, Unilever acquired Marmite in 2000, and some time after that, the w*****s changed the recipe, as these w*****s do, to produce a slimy mess -- which we had to lump, or like.

Well, Tesco's own Yeast Extract, which I discovered about a year ago, is more like the old Marmite, and is also much cheaper.

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

Thank you :-)

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Interesting. SiL loves the stuff and we have to buy the jumbo packs from Costco to keep him supplied. I'll get catering management to try a sample from Tesco..

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I thought they had thinned it down. We changed to Vegemite, which like the Tesco version, is more like the Marmite of old, but with a slightly different taste which we prefer..

Reply to
SteveE

When was that? I've got some Marmite BBE APR17 which seems to be all right.

I might try some supermarket yeast extract next time. Sainsbury's used to sell some a few years ago which was all right, but the stuff they sell now is "reduced salt" which sounds rather dodgy. Asda YE is even cheaper than Tesco.

Reminds me of the vegetarian Bovril episode. They took two goes to get back to something like the original product.

Reply to
Max Demian

Thanks. ;-)

As it turns out, I'm a Marmite 'Lover' and the Mrs a 'hater' (well, not quite but she finds it too strong, preferring Bovril).

JOOI, you can actually take the Marmite DNA test to see if you are predisposed to be a Marmite Lover or Hater but it's not cheap. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't know Max -- maybe a couple of years after they'd acquired the company? Marmite these days is runny; it used to be more solid, so you had to _spread_ it on your toast, rather than _smear_ it :-)

The Tesco stuff (like Vegemite) has the texture of the old "spready stuff".

Very technical, this discussion :-D

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

I foresee the same thing happening when Trinity Mirror takes over the Express. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No more daily forecast that the end of the world will happen tomorrow?

Reply to
Martin

Does seem a little counter intuitive for a company to buy a successful brand then make it worse. Shoot in foot thinking. I don't like it myself but I'm not going to hold that against anybody. it a classic story of using what was a wast product productively. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

or doom-laden weather forecasts.

Reply to
Bob Martin

or the list of a thousand asteroids which might hit earth. I'm surprised that they aren't really really excited about the one that is going to pass with

43,000 miles of earth on Friday. DON'T PANIC! Will the regulars readers spot the change of ownership when The Express starts supporting Remainers and Corbyn for PM? DM readers are confused by The Mail on Sunday being Remainer and DM pro-Brexit because the two newspapers have different editors.
Reply to
Martin

Eh? I've been buying Marmite for years, and not noticed any change in constituency. It has always thickened slightly after opening, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How big is it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It was 20-30m and passed by last Friday (about 1/5 the distance to the moon)

Reply to
Bob Martin

sounds like an early April fools joke to me. I very much doubt DNA can be used to say whether or not yuo;re a marmite fa n or not.

I've only every liked marmite once and that was at 7am on toast after I was given it for breakfast after a club night, she said it was really good for you and good for hair and nails, she had long blonde hair down to here wai st so assumed even though she was blonde that she might know what she was t alking about. Following week I brought some myself tried it and hated it every time I tri ed it, after about 3 years I threw the jar out (1990s) haven't triend it si nce.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Reply to
Martin

I have not bought cadburys chocolate since...it got taken over. One proffered block was enough to put me off forever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why throw it out? put it in vegetable soup (make soup non vegetarian) :)

Reply to
FMurtz

Why would it do that? It?s a yeast based product.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+