There's a fungus among us

I occasionally have issues with fungus and bacteria spots on the leaves of some of my plants (esp. Phals). Just when I think I have it under control I see spots on the leaves again.

Should I spray Physan occassionally? After I see the damage it's too late so how do youse guys and gals handle this?

Good Growing, Gene

Reply to
Gene Schurg

In general, I hate to see chemicals being sprayed "just in case." But if you are in a fungus-prone environment (we are, in hot humid south Florida, and if you are having recurrent infections, apparently you are, too), spraying a fungicide once a month or so will not harm your plants and will probably help.

The chemical should be rotated -- not Physan every time, but switch to something with a different active ingredient after a few sprayings, and then back. It's also important to spray the surrounding areas (benches, floor, hangers, etc.), not just the plants, and to achieve proper coverage (undersides of leaves). Kenni

Reply to
Kenni Judd

..just back from a Mid-West business trip, so catching up.

Rod and I were friends, and while we did disagree on stuff, I surely don't recall any flame wars with the opinionated bastard (insert grin here).

I am a firm believer in NOT doing preventive sprayings of insecticides, but I have never heard of resistance buildup in lower life forms. My understanding is that because they reproduce asexually, there is no opportunity to pass on traits. Algae can reproduce sexually or asexually, but I've not heard of a resistant strain...

I generally use Physan @ 1 tsp/gal on a 4- to 6-week basis, and have no issues with resistant strains of fungi, bacteria, or algae. The fact that it is so instantly contact toxic to those things probably helps.

If I was to rotate disinfectants, I'd use Physan (one teaspoon per gallon), chorine bleach (one ounce per gallon), and an aqueous cinnamon extract (stir

4-6 tablespoons of powder into a gallon of boiling water; remove from heat and let sit for at least 48 hours, filter and dilute to 5 gallons of spray).

Also keep in mind that good air flow around the plants is the number one, best way to prevent fungal and bacterial infections.

Reply to
Ray B