OT: Maplin sold to Pizza Hut owner for £85 million

Ah - Henry's . Hmm memories...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The only Little Chefs I have visited in recent years had started to serve halfway decent Lavazza coffee! Making them just about acceptable in an emergency case of hypocaffeinism. Last time I saw one, it had been been changed entirely to another brand - I think yet another Costa branch. No idea of the business changes behind that.

Mind, even a completely unreformed Little Chef from years ago would have served nicer tea than I unfortunately suffered in a Starbucks a week or two ago. OK, so why go to a Starbucks for coffee? It was a case of ending up in a Starbucks and then not being able to face their coffee (which I find pretty bad). But their tea was much, much worse.

Reply to
polygonum

I think this is the third VC firm that's owned them: ie it's a change of owner but not a change of structure. If the first two VCs didn't do that, will the third?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Worse than British Rail tea?

I remember Little Chef from the 70s - and crappy eater[1].

[1] Who came up with this as a logo:

The first MBA advertising executive?

Anyway - long wait, crap food, formica "restaurant".

Reply to
Tim Watts

they moved on from kits, to being HiFi dealer in Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street near what is now Primark (C&A at the time). I did wonder where they'd gone,

Reply to
charles

Difficult to say as I used to take milk in tea in the days of BR. Watery and unpleasant - yes, BR tea was. Scummy and almost entirely lacking in any flavour over that of scummy water - yes, Starbucks had less flavour than BR. Quite astonishing for black tea to be so flat and tasteless even after plenty of brewing time.

Reply to
polygonum

Tandy are back, did you know? They have an internet shop in th euK.

Reply to
charles

Me too (even before reading the sign on the wall!

Reply to
djc

No, Great Portland Str. (clue for those unfamiliar with area: look at sign on wall at 1st Floor level.)

Reply to
djc

I heard my first Quad ESL-57 speakers at Laskys HiFi shop (long gone) in Preston. I thought they were amazing, but have never bought any as I discovered that neither my bank balance nor my walls will stretch far enough to accommodate them. :)

Reply to
mick

the Marylebone flyover put paid to the main branch.

Reply to
charles

Maplins "value" HTML leads £7.99 and across the road is Poundland..... I have no confidence that the "new" Jessops stands a cat in hell's chance on the high street either.

Reply to
stuart noble

Do they have a HDMI website?

Reply to
Andy Burns

/stuart noble

- show quoted text - Maplins "value" HTML leads £7.99 and across the road is Poundland..... I have no confidence that the "new" Jessops stands a cat in hell's chance on the high street either. /q

ITYM 'HTTP' ?:-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

HDMI. Well, it was Sunday morning :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

They are still amazing, given the right recordings and ancillary equipment, 'tho these days they can be found at a reasonable price as can the later ESL 63 but much depends on how they have been treated and maintained etc...

Reply to
tony sayer

We have Two Maplin outlets here in Cambridge they have been there for a long time so they must be doing something right to survive as a business.

I don't usually go there having trade suppliers that cost less, but there are odd times when you need it !now!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Strange when any railwayman will tell you the railway runs on Tea;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Tea they make for themselves - not from the buffet car, or station facilities. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

In article , charles writes

I used them for something recently but it didn't half stick in my craw :-/

Thankfully it was branded stuff.

Reply to
fred