OT: Loudness of Wheelie Bin

Just had a new wheelie bin delivered by the council and it has a sound pressure (or is it sound power?) rating on the rear:

know what this relates to?

The noise it makes as it rattles along the road?

The noise of the lid dropping?

The noise it makes on an ideal test pavement under laboratory conditions?

The noise of the hoist on the back of the dustbin lorry?

Any ideas...?

Reply to
James

conditions?

It's the noise you make when you hear the price, and also later when you hear that your Council are going to fortnightly collections.

AWEM

(Seriously though, 89 dBA is quite loud - my 100KW diesel generator with a 6 litre 6 pot engine going flat out is 90dBA)

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It is actually the volume to which you have to raise your voice to in order for the 'bin monkey controller' not to leave your bin blocking your driveway and causing you to stop in the middle of the road blocking the traffic in order to move it so you can get in your driveway!!!!!!!!!! We are on 2 weekly collections and this happens every time, ring the council,complain.same happens again the next time. Bunch of To55ers. Fylde Borough Council if any body cares...they certainly don't!!

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

As we all know, if you compain evey single week, and your neighbours do too, they'll soon want to solve the problem. And if theyre rude to you, you can call back later and lodge a complaint about that too... People power.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It is to do with the noise of the bin lid hitting either the back or top of the bin! Read all about it here...

Al M

It does also include mention of "a wheeling test on uneven ground".

Reply to
Andy Burns

How much it'll wake you up on collection morning I'd have thought :)

Wiki says

The early standard for these bins was the German DIN Standard 30740 and DIN 30700 parts 1 + 2 and later RAL-RG 723/2, but in the European Union the specification of wheelie bins is now governed by the European Standard EN840, Part 1 of which covers the construction and dimensions of two wheeled bins with a range of capacities.

Reply to
mogga

Morning bin noise is a real problem, so the idea of rating it sounds like an excellent idea.

But does anyone else find these numbers surprisingly high?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

bin and/or who it is, who has become wheelie-bin manufacturers to the world. Now I know. It must be _at least_ as wealth-creating as the road cone! Thanks John

Reply to
John

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:50:30 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee named "Grumpy owd man" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I think you'll find that's part of their training.

Module 1 - finding the optimum location for the empty bin to cause maximum inconvenience (a few inches one way or the other could permit the householder to drive past and will result in a fail).

Module 2 - where to hide the bin belonging to the particular householder so that they'll never find it again. Extra credit can be gained by replacing the cleanest bin with the dirtiest, smelliest one on the estate.

Module 3 (Drivers only) - how to position your vehicle to block as many roads simultaneously. Extra credit for being able to prevent emergency vehicles or funeral corteges from passing.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

The message from Hugo Nebula contains these words:

Someone must have had a go at our binmen recently. This week they very neatly lined up all the bins when they'd finished, leaving the footpath clear for pushchairs and not blocking back gates.

Reply to
Guy King

And I thought it was only me that HATED the ACCURSED NOISE these things make. I think they are a good idea as far as collecting rubbish is concerned but the noise they make (both when trundled with those SOLID wheels and the sound the lid makes when TONE DEAF APES SLAM the lid down is appauling (I don't men the binmen - I mean the neighbours. Apparently I have "sensitive hearing". Yeah right!

The Bin-din is due to get worse here because our council have implimented their latest plan which involved two collection in 2 (or even 3) bins. So basically the din lasts about 1/2 hour twice a week. That's ignoring the fact that our road sweeps in a loop and they go the other side for an encore.

Ah well my fault I suppose, sensitive hearing and working shifts.

Reply to
Mike

Isn't 89 dB just on the verge of illegal? I thought 90 dB was when masking and attenuation or whatever its called is required. Allowing drums that size free range of the Queen's Highway seems somewhat cavalier.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

TWO collections a week??!?! Where do you live, FFS, where the council can afford that kind of service?

You'll be telling us next that your roads get properly mended, instead of trained monkies coming round with a barrow load of tarmac, which they drop into the hole and jump up and down on!

John Living in Margaret Thatcher's Britain and loving it.

Reply to
John

We rented a villa on Fuertaventura last summer. When we checked in, the agent told us the dustmen came between 8pm and 9pm so we should empty the bins before then. "What day?" we asked. He gave us an odd look and replied "every day of course"

Reply to
LSR

In message , Weatherlawyer writes

The sad thing is the manufacturer (linky further up the thread somewhere) was _proud_ their low noise bins were only 80-odd dB. Do one with rubber tyres and soft-close lid, then boast about it!

Reply to
Steven Briggs