Bin bags

I appear to have missed the new law they bought in requiring any and all refuse sacks to be no thinner than a butterflys handkerchief.

Looking at the offering from Tescos, Sainsburys, Morrisons, B&Q, and Wilkinsons[1] the notion of consumer choice is laughable. It's *exactly* the same shit. Or just another reason to not go to shops, and look online.

[1]Actually Wilkinsons do an 8-bag roll of heavy duty refuse sacks that are just about OK. Only (as we discovered yesterday) not in every store. When we showed the hapless employee the label from the last roll we bought, he went off and came back saying "You'll have to go to a nearby branch for those."

No, sorry mate. We have to go home and Amazon it.

Is there *any* point in "going shopping" anymore ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I buy mine from industrial suppliers. I have to buy a lot at once, but they are stronger than anything, short of rubble bags, that you can buy in the shops.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But you have the choice as to which store rips you off...

Reply to
polygonum

What do you actually want them for?

Reply to
mogga

Putting inside the "outside" bin. Thanks to a fairly competent recycling scheme, we've got our household throw down to a single black bag. However the [Birmingham] supplied bags are useless (you can actually see through them) - I put the last lot they issued straight into the plastics recycling.

Hopefully it's a temporary nuisance, as I have it in writing (well, email) that we're getting wheelie bins "soon". Given there's been no mention officially, I'm curious as to how they will organise it[1]. Getting 200,000+ bins out is a challenge of logistics in itself. And that's before you start looking at sizing, and properties that just can't accommodate them.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

CPC do some reasonable ones. That's where I get ours.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oops, meant to say :

[1]probably badly.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Organise? Consider problems? My what a wonderful council you have!

Dump one somewhere near every house is about what we got. With any problems being addressed after the event - filling local rag columns with stories of impossible situations.

Reply to
polygonum

Speaking selfishly, I can't wait. We've got room, and *anything* must be better than flimsy black bags that if the rats, foxes, dogs, magpies, crows, hedgehogs and goodness knows what else don't get at, can be blown open by the wind.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oh I agree! It was a considerable improvement for us. We can leave our bins on the drive outside our fence. They seem OK about emptying them from there so do not need to push them literally to edge of property.

But for some people it was pretty difficult.

Reply to
polygonum

Have you mentioned this to them? If they're wasting money they need to know.

Chadderton got loads of wheely bins - not sure what they did at all the terraces though - I know a lot of people were worried about having to drag them through the house.

some people keep them in the ginnels although that looks like a PITA.

We have grey bin (general), food and/or green waste (every week), blue (paper) and brown (bottles and tins etc) ...

Reply to
mogga

Oh yes - that's when I got the email reply saying wheelie bins are coming.

"I am sorry you have had problems with the quality of the bags on offer."

or, in other words, f*ck off.

Looking up and down the road on bin day, no one uses the council bags.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In that case take that issue to a councillor. Someone at the council has made a decision to buy those 'rubbish' rubbish bags....

Reply to
mogga

"budget cuts"

Reply to
charles

When we had ours it was done by the manufacturers. A lorry drove slowly down the road and a small army of blokes clipped on the wheels and the lids and left them outside each house according to the sizes and quantities we had ordered. Worked very well indeed.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Wasting money isn't a budget cut. A budget cut would have been offering no bags or fewer bags. Our general rubbish only goes every fortnight and I reckon it's less than a bin bag worth then.

The last time I had to use bin bags for general rubbish was probably early 1992.

Reply to
mogga

*Shrug*. Sometimes, I really can't be bothered. If I actually took the time to contact people whenever I experience unsatisfactory performance, I would never do anything else. In this case, given it should be resolved soon, it seems moot.

My current bugbear is the state of the roads. They just threw a bit of tarmac around last year, which predictably has vanished now, along with new craters. You tend to learn where they are, and where you can drive round them, but sometimes it's not possible. My wife counted 36 in a 2 mile drive on Saturday - that was on our side of the road.

Yes, I have complained. Reply was to note each pothole individually, and report it using the council website.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Our local (but significant) road was multiply-connected potholes and getting very much worse every year. Then a few years ago, as we were going into major cuts, etc. they stripped and refinished our entire length of it.

Seeing the bits of road at either end of the re-done stretch, I cannot believe how lucky we were.

Reply to
polygonum

When my parents got theirs (1991 IIRC) the council sent out a form asking what size you needed. My Mum got a bit of paper and started doing some sort of calculation, until my Dad got home. When she said what she was doing he made an exasperated noise, and pointed out "just get the biggest".

After the initial allocation, if you wanted to up (or down) size, you had to pay for a new bin.

Anyway, we've got plenty of room, so as big as they come.

After they were in place in my parents, some people left them close to their wall, and they became unofficial litter bins. Very public spirited.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The road I drive along to get to work got resurfaced last year. They carefully removed the loose tarmac from round the potholes, leaving the holes for refilling later, then they applied the new stone and tar coating. Then few months later, they came along and filled in the holes. Naturally, the holes are now back again....

Thank you, Staffordshire Moorlands council for that brilliant piece of planning. They've recently filled in most of the worst holes in again. Some of them are now filling with water....

Reply to
John Williamson