OT: Large format ereaders

Anyone got one? How do they compare with a standard Kindle for legibility?

My mother has macular degeneration but has managed to keep reading her Kindle until recently. Just wondering if it might be worth her while trying a larger screen.

Before anyone mentions it, she already has an iPad with the Kindle app but it doesn?t seem to help. We?ve already played with different fonts, different font sizes and inverted colours.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I do in fact mostly read my ebooks on the PC 24" wide screen monitor using the kindle app on the PC. Free to try that.

Not quite so ergonomic, you page with the mouse scroll wheel or keyboard pgdn key

Reply to
jleikppkywk

Has she tried reading books on a mobile phone using one of the utilities that can read them out loud to her?

There are times when one has to stop trying to use eyes for something. You need her to go to low vision clinic or even have a chat with the local ECLO assuming your trust has one. Of course nothing is cheap, but There are solutions like Synapptic and in your pocket and even a second hand Iphone with a couple of apps can do the job, Voice Dream Reader. Of course The good old Amazon Echo can read many books to you if its linked to Kindle or Audible accounts, though listening with artificial voice can annoy some folk!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes as I say, The Ipad has voice over and can be controlled quite well with voice as well. It is true that the pc has a version of the e app, and with the free screenreader NVDA (note you need the accessible version of the app) you can hear most text types quite easily. If she has not joined yet, The Macular Society can be very helpful. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not tried one, but ginormous tablets are available on ebay quite cheaply sometimes from ex point of sale display applications. Search for outform or idisplay

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

An acquaintance who has visual problems (I don?t know him well enough to ask how bad) happened to mention he found and Amazon Alexa a great asset - in particular reading audio books to him etc.

I think some Kindles have an Audio book function * although, even though I have a Kindle, I?ve never explored it.

*they may even be able to ?read?, at least some, ordinary books.
Reply to
Brian Reay

A colleague has one of these:

It looks very nice. Although I don't know what the criteria would be for legibility. The technology is similar to an ereader Kindle, so if you've tried large fonts on the Kindle I'm not sure what a larger tablet will get you beyond more screen area.

It also isn't that cheap, although all large-screen ereaders seem to be expensive.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I have a Kobo Forma which, I think, has the largest screen available on 'mainstream' eReaders. I like it very much (especially not being locked into Amazon/Kindle) and you can get along with larger typefaces than you could on a smaller screen. However I don't think it's going to make a drmatic difference when compared with smaller screened readers.

Reply to
Chris Green