(OT) Killer application

Looks like 3D printing has found its killer application.

I suppose it was inevitable but I'd rather that terrorists weren't given any more help than necessary. :-(

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't be ridiculous. Terrorists aren't going to piss about with single shot rimfire .22 pistols, when the gun makers of Peshawar are turning out thousands of AK-47 clones a month.

Reply to
Huge

Which is going to be easier to get on to a plane?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Gun.

Those 3D printers are really awkward to carry...

Reply to
polygonum

And if you run out of plastic halfway though printing..........

Reply to
ARW

You end up with a sawn-off shotgun.....

(So long as you are printing in the right direction. Otherwise it is a barrel of fun.)

Reply to
polygonum

Or a stock in filler.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Do people like you really live their lives worrying about such things? How do you even get out of bed in the morning?

Reply to
Huge

I'd be really impressed if they printed some ammunition.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

True.

Reply to
harry

Depends on the intended use, a 22 will kill you just as well as anything else and is much more discrete. Not all terrorists go in all guns blazing.

Reply to
Bill

writes

Just another idle thought, if possession of an unlicensed firearm is illegal (and I don't think that you have to have ammunition for it to be illegal), at what stage in the manufacturing process would it become illegal? When you've assembled it, when you've printed up all the bits or maybe when you press the start button?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

writes

I'd guess as soon as the person has shown intention (to acquire an unlicensed firearm) and started to execute the processes of manufacture.

Arguably that could be at quite an early stage. Also, arguably, even a non-viable device would be an offence - otherwise, until made and fired, it cannot be known it is viable.

Reply to
polygonum

No metal parts except for the firing pin so hard to detect when going through airport security.

I think one of the US crime programmes recently featured a printed gun as a disposable weapon that was untraceable.

Just wait until the printers become £100 and the "compatible" consumables cost a few quid a pop.

Reply to
alan

Probable feasible with a few dismantled readily available firework or shotgun cartridges.

Reply to
alan

Gives a whole new meaning to the notion of a printer cartridge.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On the contrary, that's exactly what they do. Its called a 'spectacular' an it involves giving the media a whacking big story. A 22 in the base of the skull is not interesting. Blood strewn corpses and a huge bang, are..

half the audience is the terrorists themselves.. They get a kick out of seeing the Enemy on TV smashed to bits.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In my youth, starting pistol blanks were readily available and 0.22 rimfire bird scarer blanks for the really adventurous.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

CSI and I suspect other us series have already done this disposable printed weapon thing, but I still have my doubts it would be safe and what about the bullets?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And mine, as 6th formers we could sign for a tin of them on the school's drama 'tab' at the local gunmakers, of course none of them were ever misappropriated for experiments, no, no.

Reply to
Andy Burns