Ot ish: WhY?

Why is it that, after a long day in the heat, boxing in some complicated meter cupboards in a block of apartments;

Your driver battery runs flat with 8 screws to go?

You have to go up a flight of stairs, down two flights of steps & walk 50 yds to the van to get another battery?

Then walk back & your piggin 25mm driver bit shatters on the first screw?

So you have to go up a flight of stairs, down two flights of steps & walk 50 yds to the van to get another piggin bit?

Mutter, mutter...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Logical disconnections in extremis.

Reply to
dave

Unbeliver sticking pins in his TMH doll? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Wherever my cordless goes its accompanied by a manual screwdriver with a small set of bits to fit either. Avoids these hassles.

NT

Reply to
NT

You have probably been something bad in a previous life like a taxman, royalty or a landlord.

In the next one you will be a lottery winner and complain about crap handymen with bad tools who spend all their time walking to and fro to their van.

Reply to
ericp

PPPPPP!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Aye, and why I want any powered screw driver to be the "staight" variety with spindle lock rather than "pistol" type and no lock. If the battery goes flat you don't even have to look for the ordinary screwdriver. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You mean, as in "I paid this guy by the hour and all he did was spend my money walking backwards and forwards to his van"?

Reply to
Bruce

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

It is due to the animosity of inanimate objects.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There's nothing wrong with any of these. A trade union official, now, ...

Reply to
Tim Streater

Medders, meet Murphy...Murphy, Medders. I'll leave you gents to besport yourselves in the drawing room.

Reply to
Lino expert

Oh look, Sod's just popped in!

Reply to
Clot

Bugger it!

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, and that's why I really like my ancient (11 year old?) B&D electric screwdriver. Went to the effort of replacing the NiCDs in it a couple of years ago.

The spindle lock is automatic - it locks in both directions the instant it finds the bit is driving the gearbox, rather than the motor. I didn't actually appreciate this until I had to take the gearbox apart on one occasion, and some little rollers came out which I couldn't get back in place, and couldn't see what on earth they did. (Thought they might be part of the torque limiter which I almost never use.) Put it back together without them and it seemed to work fine with a quick spin in each direction. Next time I used it for real was when I found the spindle lock had gone, and doing a final torque by hand just drove the gearbox and motor. Took the thing apart again, and worked out a way to get the rollers in place and to stay there whilst reassembing. Spindle lock working again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

Sprag clutch, by the sound of it. Common in m/cycle starters, but normally one-way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Possibly, but I can't actually find a good online description of how one works. Next time I take the screwdriver gearbox apart, I'll take more notice of of the design of that part. I can only now vaguley recall that there were a pair of concentric rings with the rollers between them. The gap containing the rollers was shaped so that if the rings rotated more than a tiny amount relative to each other, the rollers jammed the rings together. I can't recall how the normal drive through it worked though. When you take the gearbox out, the larger ring is left in place in the body, and the smaller ring comes out with the gearbox, and all the tiny rollers fall out of place. I finally worked out a way to reassemble it that meant standing the base so the rollers were on their ends, using a slightly magnetic screwdriver to lift each roller into place (too deep in the body to get fingers in), and then carefully dropping the gearbox in position before any of the rollers fell over.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I built one of those out of meccano bits. Worked well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To be that unlucky he probably was a politician! Not just any sort of scumbag but a professional scumbag.

Reply to
1501

You're the guy who hates Wikipedia aren't you? Make an exception this time.

reasonably clear, and links to

contains such gems of imprecision as

"The special geometric shape of the logarithmic spiral along the engagement curve guarantees equal pitch angles between the sprags and round mating parts in each position of the engagement curve."

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Er, no. I contribute quite a bit to it.

I did read that. It really doesn't match the mechanism in the screwdriver, which isn't a free wheel, and doesn't look like the pictures of sprag clutches I can find.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel