OT-ish What make of rotavator?

My old machine is dying.I need a new 5HP rotavator. Looking at the MowDirect site there is a wide range of makers to choose from.

These are on my shortlist: Alko Centurion Handy MTD Lawn King

Has anyone good or bad experiences of any of these makes? I know I could try a gardening group, but in my experience this ng seems to have a great range of knowledgeable folk.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Howard. It'll be an old one (ideally a Dragon, but a Gem works fine, it's just older) so keep an eye on plant auctions.

Lightweight rotovators are a waste of effort. A heavy one holds itself down in the soil, a light one has to be pushed.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for that. I see a lot of Howards on eBay. Now I know the reason.

Reply to
Peter Scott

If you ever see a Goldoni, grab it. Don't even hesitate. The best of the modern cultivators IMO and they can be used for much more. The rotavator head detaches and the PTO will take a huge range of accessories including scythes, brush cutters even a saw bench.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Howard my dad had was self propelled, and a cinch to use. Just steer and relax. I think it was a Gem...

The one he had before didn't have any propulsion, and would if left to its own devices dig itself out of the ground and run away at 20MPH - the speed of the tines. I hope they don't make 'em like that any more!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I hired one once and the bloke who delivered didn't fit the control stake at the back. As he demo'd it on hard ground it dragged him off across my garden bouncing like Zebedee in the Magic Roundabout.

Reply to
Peter Scott