OT ish; Free estimates :-)

Call from a lady today, just moved into a local new build estate.

NBL; "I wanted to know how much to fit a house number to the front of the house"?

TMH; "I can do it on the way home, just give me a tenner".

NBL; "I'm getting some other prices, I'll let you know".

The mind boggles......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Some you win....

Reply to
Nick

Had you already ascertained that it was a straight forward screw/glue some numbers up? It would be the law of Sod to find she had one of those trendy illuminated light box things which would require extra work running the cable into where the accompanying power supply has to be connected or plugged in. Simple job on way home for a Tenner becomes a couple of hours work and you're late for tea.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I am frequently reminded that "no good turn ever goes unpunished!"

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

No, you'd requote.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's code for "too much".

Reply to
Calvin

OK she might be in a wheelchair and crippled with arthritis, but it seems a sad reflection on the practical abilities of much of the population.

Reply to
newshound

People are being conditioned now not to do anything themselves. It started with gas and Corgi, and is now continuing on to pretty much everything. Sad really.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

She might live at 10245, Long Lane ...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You would be truly amazed by what people can't do.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think perhaps you should have quoted £5, as a loss leader. Unless you already have too much work of course.

Reply to
newshound

Isn't £10 a loss leader?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Can't do, don't know how, don't have the tools, or it's just easier etc.

I don't imagine my mum would fit a house number, certainly not if it was more than screwing to some wood.

My Dad would have, but maybe not anymore now as he has got older and his disability has gradually worsened

Reply to
chris French

Alan (BigAl) scribbled...

A septic saying, which tells us everything about the selfish bastards over the pond.

Reply to
Artic

You'd be truly amazed at what the husbands of daughters can't do. I had to tear off to Retford last week to unblock a sink.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On Saturday 09 November 2013 05:04 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Why can't your daughter do it?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Very true. How often do you see young people DIYing an old house these days? It was very common when I was young. They even whinge if they don't like the paint colour.

Most of the Grand Designs projects are old people too. (Though hardly DIY)

Reply to
harryagain

No need to duck at all. There's two vaguely competent grown adults in the house, but neither can do a simple job.

I blame the parents...

And, no, I wouldn't be amazed at all at what Joe Average can't do (or can't do well). It's cheaper to bung somebody a tenner to do it properly first time than to call them in to rectify the results of some ham-fisted muppet, though.

Reply to
Adrian

It still is. I just suspect you don't know many young people.

Reply to
Adrian

I'd be tempted to get those stick on ones and do it myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff