OT - Importing a Northern Irish car into England

I've got one of those; taking up space in a barn.

GTi mk3 no MOT and the abs warning light is on otherwise OK.

Dead NiCads in the alarm shut down the engine management. It has taken me 2 years for the tuits to arrive:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The DVLA(NI) :P Asuming the car has a number plate it will have a registered owner.

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Apart from the fact that it will have a registered _keeper_, not owner, and DVLA are quite distinct that that conveys nothing about the legal ownership, you seem to have just suggested that DVLA won't register the vehicle unless you get the police involved as some kind of an intermediary between DVLA and... DVLA.

Not really thought that through, have you?

Reply to
Adrian

Strangely enough, yes. The DVLA hold the vehicle records but it's the police's responsibility to resolve issues of ownership for 'found' property.

Maybe the DVLA have special procedures in place to resolve this kind of situation without the round-trip, in which case good on them, but I doubt it.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

There was a thread yesterday on uk.legal.moderated about found property.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Will do.

I am going for the finders keepers. The worst thing that can happen is that it turns out the car is stolen/used in a murder etc. But what the Hell - I did not pinch it or kill anyone. And the car was not there when the warehouse was cleared out 2 years ago by the balliffs when the guy who owned it went under through no fault of his own (ie nothing criminal he was owed money by another company or two that had gone bust).

Reply to
ARW

My brother is a VW mechanic:-)

Reply to
ARW

The two vehicle licencing centres used to be separate. They are not now.

Reply to
Eric

Then how did you get the keys?

Reply to
Arty Effem

Indeed. I had a couple of abandoned cars in the past and simply registered them to me, telling the DVLA the facts. They didn't give a toss and sent me the new logbook with my name in it. Of course, if the PO had turned up, I'd have taken off the money I'd spent and given him it back, but it never happened.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

As somebody else has pointed out, it may well be a Nor'n Iron plate on a UK car - so just run it past

first to see if it's UK-reg or NI-reg. I've just run an Ulster mate's genuine, current Nor'n Iron plate through, and it comes back not known. But if that plate's been transferred to Swansea, it'll come back with the details.

Reply to
Adrian

Why should it matter I thought NI was part of the UK.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You found it? I'm sure you need to do a search for unresolved finance, ownership etc, hence you contact the dvla I'd say. What a question, I'd have thought it was obvious. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Really? Obviously he has no way to prove he is the owner of it then, he just wants to move the problem onto you, as he has no idea and wants it gone in case its hot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Perhaps he could put the two together? This one is registered at Swansea:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The point is the DVLA don't care about ownership, only who is the 'keeper'.

Reply to
djc

Quite possibly nicked, or maybe a cloned car wearing the plates from a scra pped car (so not apparently nicked from the registration number). DVLA sho uld be contacted.

Can you not report it to the police as found property? ISTR that the find er becomes the owner after 3 or 6 months.

I read somewhere about a motorbike that was abandoned in a vacated rented flat. The landlord assumed ownership, spent money on bits and was using it . At that point, the "owner" decided it was still his, reported it stolen, recovered it AND the landlord was convisted of TWOCing or some such.

Reply to
Onetap

They are not part of Great Britain.

Reply to
ARW

They were with the car.

Reply to
ARW

I have done it before when working at rented houses when the last tenant has left the country ie gone back to Poland. But they were cars registered in England and a couple of times I actually had the logbook.

Reply to
ARW