OT: iMac search provider help

Still trying to help this friend who has bought this refurbished iMac running Sierra. He got a pop up from Google saying what they recorded and why. He tried to change to Duck Duck Go, but failed. I joined him via Teamviewer, we went to Safari and found the tick boxes with 4 providers listed, but whatever we ticked it reverted to Google.

I've tried a search, and found other complaints about this, but no answers. I got really annoyed by the sudden blaring music on so many of the Mac help sites, that I've come here for peace and calm and perhaps a chance of some guidance.

Reply to
Bill

Use a different browser - Opera, Firefox...

Reply to
Richard

In message <q7s8h7$1e3o$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Richard snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com.invalid> writes

Managed to talk to him today. Neither he nor I can remember whether we tried a different browser, but he is being guided by someone who has convinced him that Macs just work. Somewhere else in Safari he can override the default browser, so that's what he is doing.

Meanwhile he has got another iMac for his wife, so today's shambles was with him trying to move all her documents and photos from her Windows 10 PC to the iMac via a usb drive. (Sorting out his network would be a step too far).

The W10 machine couldn't see whatever FS the Mac uses, so I was called on just after he thought he had managed to reformat her C drive (he hadn't).

W10 will format in ExFAT or NTFS, the Mac formats in something else. Why W10 doesn't still natively offer FAT32, I don't know.

The Mac is supposed to be able to read NTFS, but doesn't see the drive after it is formatted NTFS. I've suggested he tries "Finder" to find it and have heard no more.

His Macs are older and much less powerful than his and his wife's W10 machines, but they seem OK as basic machines.

What I hate are these Mac evangelists, who seem to have turned a good friend bonkers.

Reply to
Bill

Rob Morley

Oh well, now's the time to plead ignorance. No shame in saying "I don't know" and getting on with *your* life.

Reply to
Richard

Macs cannot read NTFS without extra software being installed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

he should have just connectedx the mac and PC to his routercv then on the mac used migration assistant and this can pull everything from a PC over to the Mac. You can deslect stuff you don;t want if that's what's prefered. No need to use a USB device.

No because windows can't read the MAc OS but the Mac OS can read windows OS's all of them IIRC.

File size is limited and I'm not sure you can run 64 bit apps using FAT32. You can;t have long filenames on FAT32 (well not easily) and you can't have files larger than 4GB. FAT32 isn't very secure either.

he should be able to read NTFS but not write to it.

You should always buy a computer for what yuo want to use it for.

That's true and it goes both ways.

Reply to
whisky-dave