OT; I phone & Blackbery

I get quite a few e mails sent from i Phones & Blackberry's. They don't always put a phone number or address on the e mail.

If I reply, does my answer got to the mobile device instantly & is there an alert?

For example; picked up an e mail this morning timed at 22:11 last night, asking if I could look at a job right at the other end of town.

I'm going that way today, so it would have been ideal to pop in, but no reply to my e mail reply yet.

Can you find a phone number from an e mail?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Your reply will be delivered to the phone usually with a standard sort of email delay time, so the sender should have your reply by now. If he has sound switched on he will get an alert, but may have it switched off overnight. You cannot determine the phone number as it is the email account that sent the message.

John

Reply to
JohnW

Thanks John. I wondered if they had to log in somewhere to pick up e mails.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Usually and usually.

:o)

Not everyone looks at their email all the time. They're too busy on Facebook.

No.

Reply to
Huge

On Tuesday 12 March 2013 08:13 The Medway Handyman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not usually a number (unles sthe person includes it in their sig).

But all mails have to have a "From:" header so you can expect to be able to do a "reply". A few emails and most SPAMs will have an invalid or "null" reply address, but that is unlikely and counterproductive on a personal email account.

What is more likely is like half the population, the recipent does not have any email etiquette, which says that "email delivery is not guaranteed and a short confirmation reply is wise where it might matter" - which would be your case.

Reply to
Tim Watts

no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snip

No. The fact he sent an email from the same plastic enclosure that holds his phone circuitry is incidental*. He could equaly have used his PC, his car dashboard or his smart fridge to send it using the same account. Likewise he might receive your reply on any such device. Therefore it wouldn't make sense to convert an email address to a phone number.

Alex

*Yes, in reality the separation in not physical, but it helps to think of it this way for non-techies.
Reply to
Alexander Lamaison