ot: How flat is a CD?

Or a hard disc platter? Just wondered. (Google so far finding flatness measuring kit - not specific for DVD or disc platter).

Reply to
dave

Very flat. I'll be surprised if you can measure it.

The pit depth on a CD is IIRC ~0.2uM and over shortish area the disc has to be _a lot_ flatter than that. It ought to be flat over the whole thing, but the drive can track a bit.

I think hard discs are better than CDs.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

CDs are not terribly flat. I've just measured a difference of 0.08mm (about 3 thou) between various points on the surface of a CD, using the 'flatness measuring kit' here

'd expect the platters of a hard disk to be considerably flatter.

Reply to
pcb1962

Yes, if you break apart a hard disc unit and play with the platters inside themselves, you'll find that they are VERY smooth. Put 2 platters together and press, and you can't separate them any other way than sliding them apart.

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

I'd expect the platters of a hard disk to be considerably flatter.

Well that's a DVD, not a CD...

...but I'd expect that to be flatter, if anything. Do you move the disc or the device? What's the substrate? Which direction are the lumps and bumps?

I'm honestly surprised. I assume you aren't talking about the ring near the middle?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

You're absolutely right, it's also a recordable one, so the plastic may be softer and more prone to distortion than a factory pressed item. I'll try the same test with a proper CD tomorrow.

I moved both, the result was the same. The substrate is an inspection grade granite surface table, unmeasurable deflection of the DTI across the whole surface. The high and low spots on the DVD were at random points across the surface, no discernible pattern.

Only the data area.

Reply to
pcb1962

CDs don't need to be flat - they're often significantly conical. Circumferential variation would be bad for focus, but drives cope fine with a gradual refocussing from track to track.

HD platters are good, but a bit small.

Granite chopping boards are better than you'd expect (take the varnish off though). Good enough for a model engineer's surface plate, stable and cheap too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley