OT, housing repair grants

Hi, I have been trying for 4 years to get a repair grant to help pay for the replacement of the roof on our house, this year I have been told there is no provision for grant maoey at all. Does anyone know if the council have a duty to supply grants, they say they have spent all the money on their own housing stock.

Reply to
Staffbull

Don't know much about this but if I were to apply I'd do it at the beginning of the new tax year ie April? as I believe thats the time to apply for grants.

Reply to
George

yes, have been for 4 years!! our council (Anglesey) arent known for their trustworthy transparency with regards finances, there have been MANY TV programmes on them

Reply to
Staffbull

yes, have been for 4 years!! our council (Anglesey) arent known for their trustworthy transparency with regards finances, there have been MANY TV programmes on them

Did you take a look at this site which is gov.

George

You have no legal entitlement to the grant. The powers given to the council under which they make grants are discretionary rather than statutory.

If the powers were statutory, the council would be compelled to offer grants to those who apply and are eligible. As they are discretionary, it is up to the council whether it makes these grants or not, regardless of whether you would be eligible.

Reply to
Bruce

gov.http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts1996/ukpga_19960053_en_1Hi thanks, just had a look as I couldnt find anything under google!! it doesnt seem to have anything in relation to my argument which is, they are taking all the Islanders council tax and spending a large proportion on repairing their housing stock, whilst not supplying ANY grant funds for private houses. so they are taking all funds from the treasury plus council tax money and gaining from bettering their housing stock.

Reply to
Staffbull

Please tell me I have firmly grasped the wrong end of this stick - you own your own private house and you want the local council to help you pay for a new roof ? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand the question very well.

Cheers, Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Visit the link I posted and you find out as to wether who's entitled to gov housing grants.

Sheeesh! a woman I know got a grant for a new roof including internal&external repairs to her own owned house.

Reply to
George

Most even though they do have some provision run out quickly - and don't hold over applications to the next year. So the trick is to get in the application right at the start of their financial year.

The grants are discretionary. They're also likely to insist on other things being brought up to their spec which could cost you more than just paying outright for the roof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi, yes I'm entitiled, just need them to have some cash in the pot!!

Reply to
Staffbull

Yes, thats what housing repair grants are for

Reply to
Staffbull

IMLE most people that say they need a new roof dont at all.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hi, this does, the timbers are inadequate and the slates are beggining to break, with quite pronounced sagging. Also no felt underneath.

Reply to
Staffbull

Hi, this does, the timbers are inadequate and the slates are beggining to break, with quite pronounced sagging. Also no felt underneath.

This is a diy group, why don't you fix it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A few tiles and a bit of Felt,YES...... a whole roof I dont think soooooo!

Reply to
George

Beyond my scope, renewing entire roofing timbers, and the price of slates too boot!

Reply to
Staffbull

Unless the slates are in really poor condition you reuse 'em. Means you only have to buy say 25% new rather than 100%...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at =A33k plus I'd imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area of 60m2 roughly.

Reply to
Staffbull

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at £3k plus I'd imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area of 60m2 roughly.

So you want the tax payer to shell out.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I wouldnt mind doing that, but would be looking at £3k plus I'd imagine for the timber work and re roofing with old slates, roof area of 60m2 roughly.

Could you please do me a favour and ask them to pop round and replace my rotten roof when they have finished with yours as I've spent all of my money on a holiday in Mexico and it's left me a bit skint. Ps: I am a taxpayer so it should all be ok.

Reply to
Franko