Trying to repair pipe buried.

Hi all,

I would love to have some practical guidance at the beginning of this DIY job.

I have just tried to break up the cement in the kitchen, I am using about a 5 lb hammer and a flat cold chisel but don't seem to be making much of an impact.

Is this normal and I just need to take it slow or is there something else I should be doing.

I am digging about 8" away from the hairline crack, this is probably the centre of where the pipes run parallel to wall, and just outside the hollow sound of cement which must be over the pipes. I would really appreciate feedback before I do damage!!!

Thanks,

Reply to
Noel

Depending on the construction practices in the country you are in, that slab could be quite thick and may have reinforcing steel as well.

And, if the pipes are actually embedded in the concrete, you could have a really difficult time exposing the pipe without damage.

Maybe a diamond wet saw to open a large square.

You don't say what these pipes are used for, but is there any chance that they could be abandoned and new piping run elsewhere, such as in the ceiling and down inside the wall?

Related newsgroup: UK.D-I-Y

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim