OT? Help with detering cats

How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've bought pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!
Adam
refer to post in free.uk.diy.home

bought

Only useful if the OP can access this group - many ISPs don't carry the free.uk.* hierarchy.

Airgun = Really Bad Idea
Are the cats "owned" (i.e., do the cats permit humans to share a house with them)?. If so, try talking to the cats' humans - if the cats are habitually using your garden as a toilet its possible that their humans aren't providing a litter tray for them (which they should).
If the cats are feral, try contacting your local Cats' Protection League - they should be able to arrange to catch the cats, have them neutered, and find homes for them.
HTH Julian
--
Julian Fowler

Sorry. Didn't realise. I'll try to not do it again.
Get yourself a cat. That'll sort the others out AND provide you with hours of entertainment!

bought
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:46:38 +0100, "James Salisbury"

Filling the balloon might work well too.
--
John

the
You can get them up to 72" diameter!
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:09:34 UTC, Tony Hayes

Indeed....!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:24:01 +0100, John Armstrong

The words "with water" were supposed to go in that sentence.
--
John

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:45:53 +0000 (UTC), Mike Ring

Difficult to avoid eyes/ears when it isn't very accurate. A super soaker type water pistol would be safer and probably as/more effective and much cheaper.
--
John

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:26:07 UTC, John Armstrong

We found a small water pistol kept near the door of the kitchen was useful to 'train' [1] the cats not to come into the kitchen; after a while we didn't even have to fill it!
[1] OK, it may well be that the cats actually trained us to pick up a water pistol...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I only shoot at rear quarters; as for water, I find they can anticipate the trajectory and dodge easily, and have a good laugh - my only score was when I guessed the direction he'd go, and aimed off about 2 - 3 yards, the b***r ran right into it.
Nuff to make my cat laugh
m r
Have you tried ground coffee?

bought
buy some cats like i did :-) nobody elses cats in my garden

but
Mike Ring wrote:

Or a Black Widow slingshot ;-))
Tony
A good waterpistol, or a hosepipe with the gun-like thing on the end so it will throw the water well. Once they think they may get an unexpected soaking, they'll be more cautious. Davey
--
"Adam" <adam.swire@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:ZaVRa.98$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...

bought
Chicken manure pellets such as 'rooster booster' work in my garden. I have two cats that love to toilet in the newly dug flower beds - spread a few of the above pellets about and it certainly deters them. One problem with these - is the stink for a couple of days after - but once this is gone the deterrent effect still works
Bri

I've heard of Jeyes fluid recommended here a while ago. Failing that, a paintball gun with a laser sight.
MJ

Try searching "trebuchet" on google - construct as required.
I want to find plans/details of the "spring guns" as allowed in the laws of this land with a view to a "non fatal" adaptation - I understand the wording allows for the setting of "spring guns" and "man traps" after sundown by a property owner as a legitimate deterrent to any (but not specified) intruder. I can't currently be sure which type they meant in that wording as there are a fair few types and they do vary rather a lot on the odd time when I've seen anything on them - not looked in quite a while actually, so I may go have a browse to see it things are any clearer now!
Failing this, there' always the old "drainpipe" wheeze, sure sorts the problem, but not all that nice, certainly not for the cat anyway!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
I found my Rottweiler dogs pretty good deterrent

bought
but