OT: grid upgrade?

Yes, but cheaper competitors drive down the price you can charge, and hence reduce expected profits.

When you look at the cost of nuclear, operating costs always have to be balanced against construction/funding costs.

I'm just saying pushing accounting for funding repayments into the future is a risky investment.

I might not be an engineer, but I do know how to structure investments.

Possibly, but possibly not. A floating raft, or similar base, might work without excessive concrete. People who dogmatically argue that today's constraints will always exist are often proven wrong. Disruptive technology overturns accepted wisdom.

The problem with nuclear is excessive safety, but also politics has stopped them being built, has stifled innovation. That alone is enough to explain nuclear's stagnation.

Nuclear also needs fuel repossessing, which is an added complication

Quite right, I don't know. I'm not saying I believe it is possible, just that I'm not convinced it is impossible.

Yes, however, the free market does operate within the constraints of government policy.

Mostly, I'm explaining why wind energy frightens nuclear investors. Why it has stifled our progress with nuclear.

Reply to
Pancho

I think the anti-nuke movement is more to blame; the accidents have not helped, and the political risk. This pre-dates the growth of wind. Also, nuke is a very large investment whereas anyone who owns a suitable field can go to their local bank for a wind turbine investment.

Reply to
newshound

Can't see it myself given the sise it would have to be to handle massive gale waves.

Bet there is a reason that they don't currently using floating turbines.

Not so true of stuff that has been done for centuries now with floating stuff tho.

No it hasn't. They are still being built.

No it does not while ever new fuel continues to be cheaper.

But the question is whether it is more viable than the current approach with off shore turbines. While it might in theory be better with very off shore, that also has the problem of much longer cables and much bigger waves in the worst gales.

You don't need investors when the govt does the nukes.

It clearly hasn't in France, China, India, Russia, and now even the UK.

And it will be interesting to watch how europe reacts now that it has become very clear how risky it is to depend on russian gas.

Reply to
Jock