OT: Grid on point of collapse as system buy price breaks £1.50 per unit barrier

And that's at midday, with what solar there is, having the most impact.

Coal nuclear gas and woodburning just about flat out, and pumped storage being used up prior to the evening peak.

STOR not invoked yet, and a bit of OCGT in reserve as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see you've now got numbers for solar, estimated by Sheffield Uni. but no doubt a fairly good guide to actuality.

You say coal is just about flat out. What's the max coal we can muster these days, do you know?

Is the Elexon portal just a front end to the BM Report data?

If anyone's interested, there's on-line real time data on a solar farm in Dorset here:

No doubt there are others.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Probably good to +-20%

10.5GW is the rated capacity of what's on the grid. BMreports shows this.

But you cant fire that up just for a half a day.

And its all running hours restricted.

I am not sure what the relationship between elexon - a power company in its own right, BM reports, and the national grid, is.

Certainly the BMreports stuff is slated to close next month in some sense or other.

I THINK elexon built the BM reports site, and have changed it a bit and will be ditching (part of?) the old one. Certainly the SOAP server is going...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

Interesting, ta. Peak of ~70kWh today, vs. ~300kWh on same date in July.

Wonder what the ROI would be on an installation like that, undistorted by subsidies and backhanders?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

DECC say "Conventional steam declined by 13.5% between 2014 and 2015 (to

22.7 GW). This is a result of the conversion of a third unit at Drax power station from coal to a high-range co-firing (85% to
Reply to
Andy Burns

Off to fire up the woodburner! And check fuel level in the genny.

Reply to
newshound

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Don't forget Nat Grid have paid a couple of coal-fired stations (Fiddler's Ferry being one) scheduled for closure to stay open this winter to act as backup for the capacity margin (the "Supplemental Balancing Reserve"). This may not be reflected in the "available coal" figures.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Not that we have any windfarms nearby, but generally it's been still for days.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Be aware the dates are in American, i.e. mm/dd/yyyy

Reply to
Chris Hogg

En el artículo , newshound escribió:

Had mine going since Saturday :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

Yes, I'd noticed. But thanks.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's because, for some reason, it defaults to US-English. If you click on the drop-down arrow next to that, you can select "English" and the date changes to DMY.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Ah yes, thanks. Took me a moment or two to find it! (Top LHS, next to 'Sunny Portal' for those similarly challenged!).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

First burn last night, about to light it again.

No system warnings from National Grid so things can't be that tight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No steam involved with OCGT, they are just BFO gas turbines and the hot exhaust vents to atmosphere. This is why they are so ineffcient but have the abilty to ramp up and down very quickly.

CCGT uses the hot exhaust from the BFO gas turbine to generate steam to drive steam turbines. All turbines are used to generate electricity.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

massively negative.

EROEI is negative at these latitudes, too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its fallen further with a coal plant closing in Scotland. Longannet? Not sure.

Coal + nuclear around 19GW if that's 'conventional steam'...?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

System warnings are not indicators of things being tight, more like stuff falling over.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, I didn't think anyone would be "daft" enough to chuck jet exhaust temperature heat away, thought the distinction of CCGT/OCGT was whether there was a common generator on a single shaft, or separate generators on gas turbine and steam turbine shafts ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nuclear was under a different category, seems there's ~10GW of coal plant sitting mothballed, rather than been actually de-commissioned.

Reply to
Andy Burns