OT: Gold hallmarks

Any of you smart guys know anything about those?

Daughters bought a ring from a charity shop for pennies, and later found that t had hallmarks on it.

Not sure if it is gold, but it is pretty heavy and looks way too good a quality to be just plain metal.

There are 3 hallmarks: the letter "M", a circle with what looks like a swan (or a duck) in it, and another circle with what could potentially be the letter "C"

Photos are here:

Any idea anyone?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Don't think a swan is a UK hallmark symbol

Andy Burns

Swarovski? in which case yellow metal with glass rocks!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Swarovski, made after 1988, when they adopted the swan symbol. The C is the copyright mark. Not sure about the M, but it probably means something to the company.

Reply to
nightjar

Look up hallmarks on Winky:

Tim Streater

M might be the size marking.

Reply to
Spike

It doesn't look like gold. The markings do not look like hallmarks. If you live near a place that says "We buy gold", ask them what they will give you for it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If it is about 5/8 diameter, then it probably is.

Reply to
nightjar

I'm sure they are not. My late father used to pick all sorts of stuff in junk shops, one time he bought home an impressive heavy brass ring (he did *not* pay gold prices for it!). This had various very small fake hallmarks, on looking closely with a good lens it was obvious that a jeweller / scrap merchant or whatever had defaced the main one with a chisel, presumably covertly when offered it, to prevent anyone from being taken in.

Reply to
newshound

Those are not Assay Office hallmarks. They look like they've been placed on there by the manufacturer for god knows what reason. If it were gold, there would be some numbers. You'd see .375 for 9ct. or .750 for 18ct. IMO it's junk.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not planning to retire on the proceeds, just interested and couldn't find details online, that's all ;-)

It is well made, definitely not cheap and nasty and the hallmarks are very nice which is why I thought that it could be real gold.

She paid £2 for it and is really happy to wear it, regardless of its value.

Based on what was suggested here, it is very likely a Swarovski. Not available on their website for sale, but the cheapest ring there (and only very few of them are real gold) is around £60, some a LOT more, so a bargain nonetheless.

Thanks all for you help!

Reply to
JoeJoe

That company if you were in their collectors club used to give away each year some kind of gift, key rings flowers etc, and I guess maybe rings, but surely they would not have fitted everyone? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Agreed! In my limited experience, Swarowksi make really nice jewellery. In my opinion the real value of jewellery is if it gives the wearer (and therefore the giver) pleasure, not if it's made of precious metals (which have their own burden).

Well done, your daughter!

J.

Reply to
Another John