OT: glyphosate

I'm seeing on twitter that Bayer has bought Monsanto, and that as a result Germany has suddenly decided that glyphosate is good for us instead of being evil.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The chances are that overview will be BS.

However, it's about some one of the EU member states made some sort of decision as that saves the EU and having to step in and resolve it for us (after one of the member states raised the point in the first place).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

harry

I don't think so, not suddenly, the decision was already put on hold.

Have no fear that the UK government might have an input, their only use for the EU was as a scapegoat to blame their incompetence on when they thought it might be problematical blaming labour.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

ROFLMAO!

Of course.

German companies own the German government and the EU.

CorruptEUn innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They must be in the minority then as according to the EU they are all going to embrace GM but without the need to use a particular product to get rid of pests as a lot of these chemicals are bad for insects like bees. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Glyphosate is a herbicide, not an insecticide. And quite useful.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Its almost indispensable for modern farming.

Its effects on insects is arguable: Most crop fields are free of insects because they are sprayed with something else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most formulations are with a surfactant. On their own, surfactants are insecticidal, and especially destructive to aquatic life. I don't think there is an easy solution as the surfactant is necessary to get the spray to stick to leaves long enough.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Many crops need insects to pollinate them.

Reply to
harry

None of the cereals (wheat, barley, oats, maize etc) - all wind pollinated. None of the root vegetables - don't need pollination. (Seed production might) Oil seed rape - better yield if bees around but does wind-pollinate too.

Definitely needed for most fruits, but you don't spray trees, bushes or greenhouse crops with glyphosate.

Peas and beans are most vulnerable.

I am a beekeeper, and don't have a problem with farmers using glyphosate or neonicotinoids responsibly.

Reply to
Reentrant

Good point.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yebbut the honey tastes crap!

Exactly.

In fafct the only times I have seen glypohisate in use is to spray out public footpaths that cross crop fields, to kill oil seed rape all at once so it all dries out for harvesting and to control invasion by wild weeds on the field margins.

Glyphosate kills crops too, you know.

Mmm I expect so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ISTR they were stressing about some minuscule cancer risk.

Also the link to GM upsets the greens.

Reply to
Tim Lamb