[OT] Glasses case

Not actually for myself, but for a friend's teenage son.
She is looking for recommendations for a strong, hard, as light as possible, and as small as possible case for glasses. He takes it to school and keeps it in his blazer pocket.
He is already on the 3rd case since the beginning of the year... All were of the cheap type that you get for free with the glasses from the optician, and did not survive, so looking for something more robust.
On 09/01/18 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:

I have tons of Boots ones. Never broken one yet...

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 07:07:34 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I solved that by moving to a monocle.
On 10/01/2018 11:44, Bob Eager wrote:

Where did you find one? It would be good enough for me to read menus etc.
Andy
On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:50:54 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

That's exactly when I use it a lot. Went out for a meal last night and it just went in my shirt pocket. Bonus is I have now learned how to use a jeweller's loupe for extended periods!
In the UK: https://www.reading-glasses.co.uk/all-monocles/
On 09/01/2018 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:

In what way did they fail?
I doubt if any glasses cases can survive being stamped on by a teenager.
I elected for titanium frame glasses precisely because they can survive almost any amount of mechanical abuse. They strip the steel screw threads bare if provoked violently enough but that is about it.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 10/01/2018 12:51, Martin Brown wrote:

Opticians try to foist soft slip cases on you, I usually insist on proper metal hinged clamshell ones, which really take a lot of abuse. The rigid plastic versions are pretty durable too.
On 09/01/2018 22:37, JoeJoe wrote:

It may be worth trying a small optician, rather than one of the 'high street' ones. While the latter are fine for the glasses, the 'old fashioned' steel cases that you used to get seem to have gone by the board in such places. The old style cases were steel, covered in fabric etc, and could be stood on.
Another option, some places sell metal cases with logos on them- often related to TV shows etc. We used to buy them for our daughter but I expect they are available in styles boys would like (being non-PC).

On 10/01/2018 13:28, Brian Reay wrote:

Specsavers still do them. You may have to ask.
On 1/9/2018 10:37 PM, JoeJoe wrote:

pound shop...they do a gold one...tacky
--
Sometimes having fun with a narcissist is all the therapy you need ...
Stop cheating...expose a Freemason today...

If I could find a UK supplier I'd suggest http://www.niteize.com/product/Rugged-Optics-Case.asp
However, the only suppliers I've been able to find are in the US so by the time you've paid shipping, VAT (20%) and the carrier (probably Parcelforce @ £13.00) for the privelege of collecting the VAT the cost gets out of hand. It would make sense to buy more than one to amortise the £13 - the charge is per parcel, not per item in the parcel.
There's another problem - over the years they've made 2 sizes and all the ones I can find are large and as the reviews on their own site say - large is too big. The medium is a much better bet but even that might be bulky in a blazer.
They make other rugged cases but I'm not sure any will meet your requirement but have a look anyway.
Another possibility is https://peliproducts.co.uk/cases.html Peli are known for *very* rugged cases. The sort of thing your would put a camera and lenses in so that you would be able to check it in as hold luggage on a plane. Most are also water proof - you can put them under water and they don't leak. They offer what they call "micro" cases in various sizes so you should be able to find one that fits the spectacles. At least they are available in the UK but they aren't cheap (as you'll see).
On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 22:37:48 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:

Go and see a pensioner. They will have loads of the indestructible steel ones stashed away.