OT: Getting a tradesman

It happens that Theo formulated :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

+1 to all of that.

I think the problem comes when you're starting out cold. You move somewhere new, so you don't know anyone. You need your aerial fixing (for example), but none of the neighbours have needed work on theirs. If you find someone and they don't do a terrible job you'll next need the aerial fixing in about

20 years, so the relationship isn't worth investing in.

At that point you can ask around people you don't know for options. But a lot of them can be gamed by bad people ('trader' sites, Facebook groups, etc). So it then becomes a task of trying to out-game the gamers (do those reviews look genuine, was the Facebook recommendation written by the trader's brother?). Which is all rather tiresome and not a skill everyone is good at.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Does your village, or a neighbouring village, have a village magazine? Tradesmen advertise in those. Do those villages have pubs? Possibly ask the publican. Village shop? Parish Council meetings? Could button hole folks at those places.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes. We had the front of our house re-pointed. They are a rough brick and any mortar that gets on the brick is nigh on impossible to remove, so we wanted a good company. We kept seeing one company's vans around the area and saw some good reviews, so made a point of looking at the results of their work, wherever we saw them. They finally managed to fit us into a cancellation - after 5 months wait.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Funnily enough that isn't as true as it used to be. Most aerial installers also install satellite, CCTV, phone extensions, etc. And then there's the fact that as the family grows the need for more aerial points can grow.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Local Facebook groups are very good for recommendations. Our local group is full of them. Two today, one for a waste disposal firm (very thoroughly checked out!) and the other for a lawn care firm. By this means I found my tree expert, my decorator, and my gardener. In a few days I'm going to contact a lady who's been recommended for foot care, because I can't reach my feet these days.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

+1 for recommendations. Although one needs to treat online stuff with caution, local facebook groups seem to be one of the better sources for recommendations.
Reply to
newshound

Ask another tradesman who you trust and have done business with for suggestions. Try to find out who local letting agents use .

Reply to
Robert

Yes I got a fencer, who though his work was sturdy, seemed to have an odd lack of appreciation of right angles and slanted featherboarding issues. It is a bit like, If I could have seen better I'd have made a better decision on where the right angles and filler bits should be. Its a bit like tilers who end up with non straight rows of times due to lack of forward planning. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Hard these days as some quite large ones seem to just operate from mobiles. Much like society as a whole is now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes the key really is to look at previous work. Even if they may be ex travellers, it does not always follow that they are con men and bodgers. Some are very good, but its finding the right ones that is the issue. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You may have got out of the business at the right time.

I have a smart TV here in my study with an internet connection but no aerial ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Letting agents who are known for their high quality workmanship, and absolutely not for lowest-cost tendering to suit their absentee landlord, yes?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Letting agents love taking backhanders from tradesmen who do work for absentee/remote landlords.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd love to say I was convinced by personal recommendations, but on the whole they reflect (usually not well) on the person making the recommendation.

Generally the good tradesmen I've had have been based on a surveyor's recommendation or associated with a purchase of a fitted item.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Where did I mention village?

Magazine for the suburbian area is where I got No 1 from.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I try to avoid Facebook but I'll have a look.

Reply to
AnthonyL

A friend actually got a conservatory built by giving a contract, I think, to Taylor Wimpey (or some other major house builder). It was 'project managed' and completed to a very high standard.

That might be a bit overkill, but where do house builders source trades folks from?

It is like IT work?

Agencies?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Is this from personal experience? I know someone who owns multiple rental properties and was ripped off by allowing the letting agent be responsible for arranging maintenance and repairs which was done to a very poor standard. The properties are now maintained by a directly employed builder/handyman when required and over the past few years the previously shoddy work has been replaced to a much better standard.

Reply to
alan_m

Then go and visit some nearby villages.

Reply to