OT: Flipper

Anyone use Flipper? For those who don't know, it attempts to get you the very best energy deals - and does all the changing of suppliers etc too. For a yearly fee of 25 quid. It doesn't take any commission from suppliers. Blurb says it won't start the annual fee until it has saved you at least double it - ie 50 quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is another company about that stares at the electricity meter for ya, and does a switcheroo with the supplier on ya behalf as well.

Can't remember what they were called, but they announced their service not long after smart electricity meters were touted as a "good thing" (tm).

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

SWUTO perhaps?

Flipper gets mixed reviews with negative ones coming from savvy consumers who have already switched to best or near best suppliers and flipper have based a comparison on the (to my mind) dodgy basis of staying with that supplier for the coming 12 months ( usually means remaining N months of a fixed deal plus (12-n) months at the top variable price) This way they can claim to be saving you money and take their £25 whereas mr Savvy would not have stayed on that tariff anyway.

If you are too lazy to do you own comparisons, then flipper will do it for you for £25 is the best description of their business model.

For the typical UK DIY reader, this would be an "Avoid" I think.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I thought it was a kids series about a Dolphin? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd say that hardly surprising. The question is do they offer a worthwhile service for those confused by the whole thing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is hardly rocket science to get somewhere near on a comparison site and then do a simple spreadsheet. If you are determined not to make any effort then use Martin Lewis energysaving club. They email you when you could be saving more than a preset amount you select. No fees at all and quite often a cash back for switching too to offset against exit penalties.

I switch every year or so between the best 1 or 2 year fixes.

All very painless.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

How are new 1 or 2 year fixes looking with your supplier, compared to the fix you're presently on? Mine are up nearly 1/3 ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not brilliant to be honest Andy

Currently with EON at £61.58 PCM with 6 months to run

2 year fixed swapping now is £82.63 1 year fixed swapping now is £82.70 Curiously close figures for 1 and 2 year As you have discovered - about 1/3rd more Not looked at other suppliers yet I plan to start searching around November for a mid january 17 changeover.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin