OT: Expanding universe question.

Well, subatomic particles don't have 'size' as such. Nor are they 'particles' as such.

But yes, that is the *assumption* of the *model*.

As to what is *really* going on? That passeth man's understanding.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At the very beginning there was essentially just energy. It was far too hot for any kind of matter we would recognise to even exist. In essence it had melted and cannot be seen until the universe cools enough for it too freeze out. The conditions were way too energetic for any of the particles we recognise to actually exist. Initially there was a sea of very energetic photons and matter antimatter pairs which due to a quirk of nature wasn't quite exactly balanced leaving slightly more matter behind when things finally settled down.

A rough explanation is online here:

Weinbergs book "The First Three Minutes" although now dated deals with what conditions were like in the early universe for a popular audience with more thorough explanations. The URL above states the facts as we presently understand them. Like all models it is subject to revision as and when new data comes along but for now it is the best we have.

Before t= 10^-43 s our physics is unable to predict anything at all.

In extremis all the laws we know are expected unify into one grand theory of everything which so far eludes us. All the forces except gravity have now been combined into one super theory GUT but incorporating gravity into it remains a problem that won't go away.

This is the territory that CERN and cosmic ray observatories explore.

They behave in some circumstances as if they do and at others as waves. The same could be said of silver atoms and bucky balls which are so far the most massive objects to have been diffracted like waves.

It is generally helpful to associate a length scale and a characteristic energy with particles imperfectly even if they might be better described by some complex N dimensional string theory since hardly anyone on the planet can understand or visualise those!

It is all just magyck. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I was thinking more of probability fields. Neither particles nor waves, just a probability that one or the other will pop its head out of an n-dimensional burrow when poked with a human scale detector stick.

Or at least that's the model that seems to work.

Schrödinger's cat blows absolute determinacy out of the water.

Whatever gets you through the night.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Excellent picture.

Reply to
RayL12

Reply to
polygonum

My observations suggest that everything is both collapsing and expanding. Everything presented to me as 'space' appears to be spiralling inwards, creating matter. The spiralling Earth itself drawing materials from a collapsing stream evidenced by gravity. The Solar system, also, is being compressed in the shrinking arm of a spiral. The galaxy, as a whole, being a inwardly spiralling sphere or, toroid. We only witness the 'scum' we call a galaxy as it tends towards the sinkhole. This is because shrinking matter casts out radiation.

If matter is a collapsing piece of space, then, because all actions have equal and opposite actions, space is also being created. As matter shrinks, it appears everything is being pushed apart.

Reply to
RayL12

ROFLMAO!

That reminds me of one off the most amusing comment's I read in a book called 'why truth matters' where the author attacked the idea that 'truth is relative to culture' by remarking that the truth of *that* statement was, of course therefore relative to culture....

Thinking about thinking, is , of course, a deeply dangerous activity, since it is highly reflexive, if not recursive. I refer you to Douglas Hofstatder* for the description of intellectual howlround, as the Yanks call acoustic feedback...

*"I am a strange loop"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher