OT: EV Insurance Rates Soar!

Women and homos trying to appear to save the planet face *much* higher insurance costs:

The penny's finally dropping and when it's generally accepted that EVs can cause catastrophic fires which destroy entire car parks full of cars, EVs will be set back 10 years at least until some alternative to Lithium can be found.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

How many car parks do you know which have had electric vehicles catch fire for no reason. I've seen i happen to most normal cars due to the wiring loom becoming faulty. If you are referring to Luton, I thought that was some other kind of car that started it. One of the issues seems to be these days that the cost of repair of many vehicles one could self repair economically has gone through the roof now the DIYer seems not to be allowed to do the work any more. So all cars insurance is rising. I was told this by a driver of a private hire car the other day. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Two car parks, Liverpool and Luton, nearly 3000 cars destroyed.

The cause of the Luton fire was put down very early on as involving a diesel car, but days later no-one in authority has said what the make or model was. Just think about that.

Two ships carrying cargoes of EVs mysteriously caught fire and sunk.

When several car dealerships have mysteriously burned down, the causes are usually put down as ‘unknown’.

In WWII, the government didn’t want to tell the public about the threat from German V-1 flying bombs, so when they started bombarding London, the government said the explosions were due to gas main faults. This worked so well that one 16-year-old girl wrote in her diary “Another German gas main exploded today”.

Don’t always believe what you’re told.

Reply to
Spike

Soneone here did and then pointed out that this could well be for legal reasons.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I don't recall ever being allowed to do a repair that an insurance company was paying for.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

The higher cost of the insurance is much simpler than that. EVs contain more complex systems, so cost more to repair, there are fewer places qualified to repair them, so there may be transport costs involved, eventual battery pack replacement will be factored into the premium and EVs cost more, so are more expensive to replace if stolen.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

when I replaced my 5 yo diesel with an EV, my insurance wentb down - I got refund. Currently my EV costs less to insure than my wife's 11yo petrol car.

Reply to
charles

Not all cars are equal, so comparisons are only meaningful if both cars are of a similar level of comfort, performance and quality.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I doubt if that is what is pushing up premiums. More likely shortage of spare parts, shortage of skilled people to fix electric cars and with being longer off the road perhaps the associated costs with hiring a replacement car. There is possibly a problem with a lot of the smaller repair shops not wanting a damaged EV on their premises as they haven't got the space to isolate it from their buildings and other customer vehicles.

A DIY repair is not likely to be an insurance claim and it wasn't in the past. People worked on their own cars to fix the wear and tear issues etc. Replacing things like brakes, filter, oil etc. is no more difficult today than it was 50 years ago.

Reply to
alan_m

Car insurance is also based on the driver as well as the value/model of the car.

Reply to
alan_m

My 17 year old Volvo costs £250 to insure. A brand new Tesla 3 would be £1950. Both the same company.

Reply to
GB

The larger problem is that car makers are driving the market such that even the mechanics, dealers, and accident repair places are also discouraged from doing any actual diagnosis or repair, instead favouring complete sub assembly replacement regardless of what the actual fault it. Needless to say, replacing a whole engine rather than fixing the one there costa much more.

That leads to cases where Tesla sold a car to someone living in Scotland. The owner then foolishly made the mistake of driving the car in the rain[1], and it then failed to "start". Tesla said that it was water damage to the battery, which they claimed was the customer's fault and said that they wanted ~£20k to replace the whole battery.

Louis covers the case:

[1] if rain is a problem, you might think that Tesla did not do much research on Scotland!
Reply to
John Rumm

The key point in the video: "Virtually everybody lies".

Reply to
GB

The key point in the video: "Virtually everybody lies".

Reply to
GB

My EV is the same make (by chance) as my wife's petrol vehicle - a larger and more up-market model.

Reply to
charles

As that Australian said, even if a lithium car didnt start the blaze, a lithium car caused the blaze to be *that bad*

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In a sense I did. In that I got my car back and £2500 write off value and rebuilt it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Enjoy it while it lasts

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh yes it is,

3 grand for a clutch? Taking half the car apart for a water pump or a thermostat?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On what basis do you put the Liverpool King's Dock fire down to EVs? Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service's report just had it as a petrol-engined Range Rover.

Reply to
Robin