OT: Engine Firing Order etc.

I suppose having the pistons share crank pins allows the crankshaft (and therefore the engine) to be shorter - one of the advantages of a V over an inline.

Isn't the burble due to combining the exhausts into a single tailpipe (and the various standing waves that are set up in the silencers and tail pipe by doing so), whereas if alternate banks or alternate cylinders join into two separate tailpipes (traditionally terminating under either end of the rear bumper) you don't tend to get this effect (so much). I believe one engine had a mass of pipes referred to as "the bundle of snakes" leading from various cylinders to various tailpipes.

Reply to
NY

Yes. If you went for the usual one main bearing between each cylinder common today, it would also make for more expensive construction.

It could well be. But even basically twin systems end to end often have a balance pipe between them.

I'm really just repeating what I remember. It's also impossible to get a really smooth idle on the normal 90 degree V8. Unlike a 6 cylinder. V8s normally have the throws at 90 degrees. Apart from the flat plane types mentioned earlier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

V8 cranks normally have the throws at 90 degrees. Being 3D, not quite sure why any configuration would be more difficult to forge than another? They all have balance webs which are irregular in 3D terms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The old VW Beetles had boxer engines.

The only mass produced car can think of now with a boxer engine is the Subaru.

Reply to
harry

harry

What do you think the crank on an inline 6 looks like?

For other points on the thread - a 90 degree V twin cancels out almost all its vibration into a pair of sine waves at 90 degrees both in phase and direction. AKA a circle. So they are actually quite good for a twin. The remaining vibration is an oscillation in a line between the two pistons, parallel to a line joining the heads.

4 90-degree V twins in a row - a V8 - can be arranged to cancel all that out - with a cross fire crank.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Hard to believe anyone would put air cooling in a tank. Did they develop water coolants for it. How f***ed up was that?

The deltic was the ultimate rotary but problems with gearing screwed it up. As a two stroke though it was more or less a perfect design except for the bit that weren't.

is a British opposed-piston valveless, supercharged uniflow, the layout required separate crankshafts on each end of the engine coupled through gearing or shafts.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

For the benefit of the brain dead.

harry

Fantastic engines and loco:)

tony sayer

Not a rotary.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Far more variants used in the original role as a marine engine but they were not in the public eye or ear so much.

Reckon it was noisy around this Fire pump though a rare example of the yanks buying foreign

While trying to find a decent reference to it I found this quote on a US site for classic vehicles. "I would think the EPA would forbid the starting of this N-D motor today. Kidding, but videos show, it produces its own thunderhead clouds when starting". Typical Deltic then.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Here is a pic of a Rover V8 crank partially installed in the crankcase, but no connecting rods. Shows the throws pretty well:-

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)