OT; Education

You won't learn nothing at school these days mate, apart from perhaps (and most important of all) how to get on with a lot of other kids. OTOH a 3 year old acquaintance of mine is constantly asking me to repeat myself. Any new word is seized upon, and she is obviously interested in language

Reply to
stuart noble

You must have been desperate for staff if you replied to him.

Well, I just plugged mine in, used a SWR meter and it worked. I don't remember what SWR means. Mr Pounder was bucket mouthing in 1980 and has not stopped since. I blame Packard Bell ...

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Sorry - IT Job aka Help ticket...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yeah, particularly with the buy sell swap groups that leave earlier stuff like Craig's List and Freecycle for dead.

Reply to
Jacko

They don?t own me, whatever they claim.

Reply to
Jacko

They just took the French version of our English names, there is normally something close enough or you drop to Franglaise.

I can sort of understand the Chinese apparent random adoption of a western name. Spoken Chinese is tonal. Such tonality doesn't exist in Western spoken languages(*), so a westerner really struggles to get the tone right. Get the tone wrong and "jasmine" turns into "cow pat" or "table leg", that probably can't happen but it serves to illustrate.

(*) Western speech does use tone but over whole words or sequence of words, like the rising tone at the end of sentence used to signify a question.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, I know its not true because the kids that are too young to have much money to spend on phone calls and who don?t even have a phone use FB when they want to borrow something from me etc. One tried to borrow my hot melt gun from me yesterday that way.

Reply to
Jacko

Well, they certainly haven't stopped using it amongst my daughters friends. Having a teenage daughter, pretty much all her friends are on it, and use it quite a bit - (I'm aware of only a couple of teenagers who aren't), and Facebook Messenger is one of their standard ways of communicating one to one

They might use other things as well, Whatsapp, Snapchat, whatever, but Facebook still seems to be an important means of communication for them. There isn't really an alternative that provides the sort of communication it offers.

Reply to
Chris French

no Kwality ...

Reply to
Jim on holiday

"Ma" can mean "mother" or "horse", according to how you pronounce it. Or so I'm told.

Reply to
Huge

That is correct.

I believe it can mean a couple of other things too (there are 4 possible tones on any given vowel: rising, falling, high and fall-rise).

Confused? I am...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh - and then add regional accents (let alone full on dialects) in.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was told that, also, but I have forgotten what.

We were told all this by one of the local guides on our trip to China many years ago. He taught us to count to 10, as well, but I've forgotten that, too.

Ho, yuss. Me 2.

Reply to
Huge

Swiss actually

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Where do you get that from?

Reply to
ARW

cos I got confused - he's German :-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Legitimate target:-)

Reply to
ARW

:-) Vot is his name?

Reply to
ARW

Don't tell him, Pike!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The one good thing is that some kids who didn't see the point in much do learn how to use SMS. Maybe a pain if that's always how they write - but better than nothing. Just wish the more intelligent would keep textspeak for their phones only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)