OT: Driving on/off kerbs

Granddaughter took me to pick someone up from the bus stop. Nowhere great to park but there was a dropped kerb in a handy place and I suggested she straddle the pavement using the dropped kerb. She didn't know why I said there. Then I suggested she reverse a bit so she could drive off via the dropped kerb. She couldn't understand why and didn't.

We needed to go back the way we came so straight off the kerb to do a U Turn not working the wheel. Ok the road was just wise enough.

I decided not to bother to explain toe-in/toe-out, wheel alignment, tracking alignment, bearing load, tyre scuff. Just a little Corsa. I can't help wonder when it all went wrong or am I just a paranoid old man?

Reply to
AnthonyL

These silly low profile tyres offer no protection for alloy wheels.

Reply to
jon

I have a strong aversion to bumping up and down kerbs instilled by my Dad and years of changing tyres so ruined.

If it is really unavoidable, then I'd try and do it as perpendicular as possible.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes well, did not do simple mechanics at school I guess the wheelbarrow full of soil demonstration might be needed? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

wummin drivers just don't have he grasp .....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Hum, doesn't that really nip the tyre between the kerb and rim both sides simultanously? As the whole weight of the car has to be lifted or drops at the same short time around the pivot point between rim and kerb.

An angle allows one side then the other to feel the pinch but with less overall compression of the tyre. This also take long so the lifting/droping is gentler. Not so shallow that the tyre doesn't climb the kerb and scuffs or suddenly falls of it though.

It's certainly far more uncomfortable taking a kerb at 90 degress than say 60 deg at the same speed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice