OT Debit card Q

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob Minchin laid this down on his screen :

I asked the question of Nat West and their reply was no. You can fiddle a second card, by pretending the first has become damaged.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

OK thanks, but that does not the other name on the card or give the option of a different PIN for the extra card.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob Minchin expressed precisely :

..and it will carry the same card number.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When I did this for real they voided the old card and did a complete new on, new number and all.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff was thinking very hard :

If you report it lost or stolen, they will do that, but if you report it as still in your possession but faulty, they send an identicle one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On further investigation it seems that a prepaid debit card fed from my current a/c might be the way to go for what I want and offers more protection too.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On further investigation it seems that a prepaid debit card fed from my current a/c might be the way to go for what I want and offers more protection too.

sid

I know the above relates to debit cards but anyway.... We (as in my wife and I) have joint accounts with HSBC and Nationwide.

Our HSBC credit cards are completely different, different number, different PIN, etc.

Our Nationwide cards have the same number, 'security' number on the back, etc. (The names on the front are different, as are our PINs). It's handy sometimes as I can buy things like rail tickets with 'my' credit card and my wife can use 'her' credit card in the ticket machine to get the tickets.

So extra cards may or may not have the same details as the 'parent' card, it seems to depend on provider.

Reply to
Chris Green

They will just cancel the first when issuing the replacement.

Reply to
alan_m

It does. We have credit cards which are essentially identical and others which are completely different.

Accounts with identical cards cancel both if one of them is lost or stolen, but accounts which have different cards cancel just the one, leaving the other one still working. This has worked to our advantage when we've been travelling and one of our cards has been cloned and cancelled.

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on the accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.

Not always easy when the account holder is female and I'm a man , or so you'd think, but never once has my use of the cards been queried when making purchases.

People never look at the name on the cards these days they just expect the machines to tell them if there is a problem.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Different here. I have PoA and the bank sent me a debit card without being asked.

Out of interest, if you have no objection, which bank is that one please?

Reply to
Mark Allread

Yes it's possible however....

If the person the account holder wants to have a card/account access is set up with LPA (Lasting Power of Attorney) then they can have full account access including statements to LPA address, checkbooks, on-line banking and telephone banking and of course Debit card (in own name) whilst normal account is still only held in single name.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Lloyds were happy to give me debit card, cheque book, statements, telephone/internet banking etc. with LPoA

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

That's not as clever as it seems. I don't know the purpose of the card check on ticket machines but they certainly don't check the account number. I regularly buy using a credit card and collect using a debit card (accounts with different banks).

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Interesting, as my wife and I have a joint Nationwide account with debits cards with the same number, 'security' number on the back, etc. but, like yours, different names and PINs.

However, our Nationwide credt cards are completely different to the extent of receiving individual statements.

Note that we didn't ask for separate accounts - we assumed that it would just be a normal joint account until the monthly statements started arriving!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yorkshire.

I sometimes use my wife's card, grabbing it because it is to hand as I am going out, while my own is somewhere upstairs. There is a downside though. Although no-one has ever queried it for me, if someone wants to cause trouble they can.

I remember a few years ago a man known to the police used his brother's card (with his permission). Th epolice got involved for some reason and they had obviously been looking for an excuse, because they arrested him and charged him under the computer misuse act, arguing that by using the card and its pin he was identifying himself as someone else to the bank's computers. Whether it went any further I don't know.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker