OT Debit card Q

Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?
Bob Minchin laid this down on his screen :

I asked the question of Nat West and their reply was no. You can fiddle a second card, by pretending the first has become damaged.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

OK thanks, but that does not the other name on the card or give the option of a different PIN for the extra card.
Bob Minchin expressed precisely :

..and it will carry the same card number.

I know the above relates to debit cards but anyway.... We (as in my wife and I) have joint accounts with HSBC and Nationwide.
Our HSBC credit cards are completely different, different number, different PIN, etc.
Our Nationwide cards have the same number, 'security' number on the back, etc. (The names on the front are different, as are our PINs). It's handy sometimes as I can buy things like rail tickets with 'my' credit card and my wife can use 'her' credit card in the ticket machine to get the tickets.
So extra cards may or may not have the same details as the 'parent' card, it seems to depend on provider.
--
Chris Green
·

On 18/12/2017 10:10, Chris Green wrote:

It does. We have credit cards which are essentially identical and others which are completely different.
Accounts with identical cards cancel both if one of them is lost or stolen, but accounts which have different cards cancel just the one, leaving the other one still working. This has worked to our advantage when we've been travelling and one of our cards has been cloned and cancelled.

That's not as clever as it seems. I don't know the purpose of the card check on ticket machines but they certainly don't check the account number. I regularly buy using a credit card and collect using a debit card (accounts with different banks).

They check that the name on the ticket matches the name on the card.

Why ?
says...

Interesting, as my wife and I have a joint Nationwide account with debits cards with the same number, 'security' number on the back, etc. but, like yours, different names and PINs.
However, our Nationwide credt cards are completely different to the extent of receiving individual statements.
Note that we didn't ask for separate accounts - we assumed that it would just be a normal joint account until the monthly statements started arriving!
--

Terry

When I did this for real they voided the old card and did a complete new on, new number and all.
Brian
--
----- -
Brian Gaff was thinking very hard :

If you report it lost or stolen, they will do that, but if you report it as still in your possession but faulty, they send an identicle one.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

On further investigation it seems that a prepaid debit card fed from my current a/c might be the way to go for what I want and offers more protection too.
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

On further investigation it seems that a prepaid debit card fed from my current a/c might be the way to go for what I want and offers more protection too.
https://secure.pockit.com/register/
On 18/12/2017 09:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

They will just cancel the first when issuing the replacement.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

IME, the original one continues working until the first time you use the new one. If you haven't used the new one within a few days of them dispatching it, you get an SMS asking you to let them know if you haven't received it. (This is a different bank, and probably they all vary slightly.)
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 18/12/2017 09:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Ouch, I don't like the sounds of 'fiddle'!
That aside, don't they cancel the 'original' card? I always assumed they did.
The OP didn't mention which bank it was. If it is one which offers 'tiered' (my word) services depending on income/savings etc, you get the basic card plus the 'enhanced' one if you qualify. The enhanced one allows things like higher daily cash withdrawals, free services, etc. At least one high st bank offers this free.
Of course, there is the question of the other person using the other card. If the account terms say you can't 'loan out' the card, there is a problem.

Brian Reay explained :

I had a new Mastercard, wanted a second identical one to keep secreted away in the car for emergencies like leaving my wallet at home, so I told Mastercard my original card was faulty. They sent a second identical one and both cards continued to operate for the remainder of their active lives.
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:26:15 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

IME as PoA for a number of accounts, no. Although named as PoA on the accounts I have been unable to obtain a debit card and all the suggestions have been that I should use the account holder's card.
Not always easy when the account holder is female and I'm a man , or so you'd think, but never once has my use of the cards been queried when making purchases.
People never look at the name on the cards these days they just expect the machines to tell them if there is a problem.
On 18/12/2017 10:47, Mark Allread wrote:

Different here. I have PoA and the bank sent me a debit card without being asked.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:51:08 +0000, F wrote:

Out of interest, if you have no objection, which bank is that one please?