Ot : Damn Britsh Gas

Changed over to BG from NP.
Ok I've made a mistake of not remembering to call them when there was about a pound in the meter for them to arrange a call to have the meter reset.
I've just phoned (26 minutes wait,never had this long wait with NP)BG informing them that the meter will not accept BG's new card they informed me the earliest appointment for the reset will be tomorrow afternoon, I see what do I cook on? now I have to use NP's card to buy more gas or use the Emergency and lo and behold because I've gone and purchased credit on BG's card this card is now defunct as it needs to be credited to the meter before purchase,it doesn't say anything about this on the bloody welcome letter.
Damn you BG for your incompetence to answer telephone calls sooner rather than later,if NP can answer calls in the space of 5minutes or not more than 10 then why can't they. I swear they're shaking hands with BT.
Where's the camping stove?
Rant over
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Pikey wrote:

LOL @ prepay meters !!

In spite of all the bad reports about British Gas. I see that you're already beginning to regret it. Can you tell us why you changed over?
Sylvain.

I've got an electric twin burner for emergencies; I think that I've only used it once, a long time ago.
Sylvain.

You are effectively off supply - if it was an electric supply, you should have had someone out to you within TWO HOURS irrespective of who your supplier is.
If this was an electricity supply, this would be a failure under the guaranteed standards and you should get a payment - sadly, at first glance, these rules do not appear to apply to gas (there`s a section in the link below).
I have an old copy of the guaranteed standards on my site:
http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/Guaranteed_Standards_17-12-03.doc
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Why don't you go down the Chinese? - I hear that bird you was after shafting is offering free '69's
:-p

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?
I didn't know that those still existed.
Andy Hall wrote:

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are prepaid, they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to use them, given that they are the most expensive way of paying for gas/electricity, but lots of people have little choice in the matter.

Why?
The energy suppliers are falling over themselves to win and retain customers.
Andy Hall wrote:

Because some people don't have bank accounts for setting up DD's yet still need gas and electricity. Some people can't save enough money together to pay a bill all in one go, let alone two, and can only 'pay-as-they-go'. These people have card meters and pay an extortionate rate for gas/electricity

... and the banks and building societies are also falling over themselves to win and retain customers. There's really no excuse not to have a bank account somewhere.

That makes no sense either. All of the energy suppliers operate annualised budget schemes where the customer pays monthly.

It's very difficult to find sympathy with that when there are so many other options whereby this is unnecessary.
Andy Hall wrote:

to win and retain *profitable* customers to whom they can sell lots of lovely financial products.
Although there are now "basic" bank accounts I don't know if they allow DDs.
Owain
Phil L wrote:

Many suppliers use these for debt recovery as well. So not only do you pay over the odds anyway - they use an additional price hike to recover past debts.
--
Cheers,

John.

.. of other people as well, by the sound of it....
Andy Hall wrote:

Apparently it can be quite a pain getting shot of one if you move into a property and the "property" has a bad debt record!
--
Cheers,

John.

This is one of the flaws of the credit rating system. When I applied for a copy of my credit record, I got copies of the credit records of everyone who'd ever lived at the same address ...
--
"Other people are not your property."

But not those who they perceive as unlikely to pay on a credit arrangement. I've loads of neighbours who can't get a credit meter and have to have one of these expensive card meters.
--
Skipweasel

This is really fixing the problem in the wrong way. The issue that needs to be addressed is why they can't manage their finances
Andy Hall wrote:

True, but I am sure the gas supplier rates that as SEP.
--
Cheers,

John.

contains these words:

It is not a nanny state yet. The government have not taken control of "their" finances.
Have you ever worked in the houses of these people who cannot manage their finances? As well as paying more for their gas and electricity through the prepayment schemes they also tend to live in houses that use more energy than should be needed to keep their uninsulated and damp rented properties warm.
The cure?
Adam
On 2006-09-08 17:59:10 +0100, "ARWadsworth"

Who said anything asbout involving the government?