OT: Daft Mattress Size

Hi All,

I'm just about to buy some IKEA bedroom furniture. The bed requires a mattress that is 160X200.

The normal size I can find is 150(4')X190.

Does anyone know where I can get them?

I don't find the IKEA ones that comfortable. Whilst Im prepared to compromise on the quality of the furniture I won't on the mattress.

Cheers,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Ikea. They are well known for the daft mattress size scam.

Oops. Time to find a different place to buy the bed. Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

You can have mattresses made to order ask in any good bed shop, but they don 't come cheep so it makes an ikea bed a touch expensive in the long run.

Reply to
Mark

daft mattress size scam ?

ikea sell euro king sized matresses to fit the euro king sized frames. probably because they are a european company.

RT

Reply to
[news]

If you can afford it (they aren't cheap) then get a latex foam mattress from Foam Direct of Foam For Comfort. They make them to order, any size you like. Provided they're on a suitable base (not inch wide slats a foot apart) they're just about the best and most comfortable mattress you can get.

Mine was a super-deluxe-jumbo-american-fatbastard-waterbed, on account of the landlord having retired to the Costa Del Sun and taken their waterbed, but left the built-in frame behind. Cost me £800 to have the largest "sensible" kingsize that came anywhere near fitting it.

(then a little work with the Skilsaw to make the final adjustments on the frame)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bosch don't try and sell metric router stuff in this country because we still use imperial. They sell the metric stuff in Germany though. They're a

*global* company and yet they understand that different countries have different standard sizes.

It's a scam because people buy a bed and mattress package from Ikea, then when they come to replace the mattress, they will almost certainly have to buy it from Ikea.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Good excuse to buy a decent mitre saw and saw 10cm off length of bed, which is what I did with my daughters bed. Some Norwegan make shop model £25, bargain, but they wanted £95 for a new 200cm matress, so I chopped 10cm off length of bed and got a kiddy proof £25 190cm matress from somewhere else. Width is the same.

I also know of the Ikea bed size difference as in my student days some friends moved into a newly rented house full of new Ikea furniture and beds, but all the matresses were 10cm short and they had to stuff a pillow down the gap.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

You can get mattresses made to any size in almost any bed shop. Prices are pretty reasonable in my experience.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Sounds very similar to Wickes and their daft radiator sizes. If you get them from Wickes in the 1st place you will no doubt have to go there if you want a replacement or upgrade unless you can rework the pipes. And they only do one style!

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

IKEA offer beds in the sizing used in Sweden. If that is not what you want, don't buy it. Personally I am very pleased with my bed, and find it far superior, for me, to UK sizes.

Similarly, many of their light fittings are ES, and better in every way than our useless bayonets, with jamming shade rings and sticking contact plungers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Admittedly I've rarely had trouble with ES, but give me SBC over SES every time. I hate their tendency to self-unscrew from heat cycling. A friend of mine has 6 SES reflector spots in his kitchen and the cycle to turn the light on every time is "flick switch, look up, reach up, rescrew the dark bulb".

Shade rings jam because they're made from a non heat-stable grade of melamine. Do them in brass and neither fitting jams. Haven't seen a stuck plunger in years either.

Admittedly they do corrode into the sleeve if they're exposed to weather.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I use an awful lot (hundreds!) of both ES and BC lamps in the foyer etc area of a theatre with which I'm involved. We have a quite a few "picture lights" (made by a particular Leeds company) which came equipped with very poor quality BC lampholders intended for 40W candle lamps. Almost as a matter of course I have to replace these holders with proper brass/ceramic holders instead of the rubbish stuff which seems to be some sort of composite bakelite'ish material which rapidly fails due to the heat build-up in this type of fitting.

Similarly ES lampholders from the same company suffer from overheating, mainly due to lamps working loose, causing burning around the poor outer contact. ES lampholders of this type are difficult to replace.

Given a choice I would prefer good quality BC brass/ceramic fittings. When they _do_ fail, replacement of the holder is usually far easier.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Agree with this. Always failong. But I notice more and more light fittings are coming with ES for 60W+ and SES for

Reply to
Mike

Crap lampholders ? Would you mean Ring by any chance ?

Must be one of the few companies that outsourced to China to improve their quality.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Could be.>

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I've known it was a bit of a scam but the bed and furniture are alot cheaper than most other places. OK - the quality isn't quite there but it'll do.

I've finally found a couple of places that stock the correct size! Habitat and Next.

If I don't like anything they have then I will resort to the axe...err..mitre saw though.

Many thanks.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

The beds long enough for people over 6 foot scam is that (just back from a week in a holiday cottage with a standard double - very glad of the ikea king size.

btw if you get the fitted sheets from them, normal kingsize duvets are (just) ok for length/width.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Is IKEA the only place that sells fitted sheets that fit their mattresses?

That'd drive me nuts...same reason I'd not lock myself into Apple...

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

That's a Euro-szed mattress.

sPoNiX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

No just the easiest (for me) and cheapest AFAIK. I'm fed up with them though - just got back having gone to get some decor strip for the kitchen units and it's an hour's wait for them to pull it out of the warehouse - so I'm looking to do it differently.

OT now but cutting melamine chipboard with a jigsaw: What's best? I know to cut from the back, but it still chips a bit (with a new, fine wood blade). Has anyone tried a metal-cutting blade as they're finer?

Reply to
Chris Hodges