OT: Confessions of a computer repairman

Windows PowerToys can move the My Documents folder, and many others too. It's been available since just after the release of Windows 95.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

I believe it's the same as NBR, which is fine on a palmtop (I run it on an eee701) with it's tiny screen, but on a desktop? No way.

Reply to
Huge

ISC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No idea. But if it is (as I have heard) the same as the UI in Ubu NBR, it's fine on a palmtop, but sucketh copiously on a desktop.

Reply to
Huge

Right click on My Documents, Properties, Target tab, Move... button.

If only moving a whole user profile was so easy.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

Only files in "My Documents" though.

Reply to
Mark

^^

+1!
Reply to
Rob

Because they can perhaps and they assume it will be better/faster.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I put all the profiles and the My Documents on the server...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks to the many and varied; I did go off and google and boggled it was so bloody obvious. I might even move MyDocs somewhere safe and start using it. Hang on, what am I saying. Ye gods, M$ have finally got to me. Argh!!!!!

Reply to
Scott M

Because they assume that someone in PC World knows what they're doing? Like telling a neighbour that he had to have a gigabit ethernet card in his new computer (in his first floor study) so that he could connect to his wireless router (near his ground floor telephone socket) and tried to upgrade him to a PS/2 keyboard from USB (the PC had no PS/2 socket).

Reply to
Jake

In linux, it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's how it is done here and on most well designed networks. Most home systems don't fall into that category though - and that's one big black(time)hole for those of us who get called upon to fix them! "I've left my laptop in reception as it has a little problem" (no explanation of what the problem may be, or any passwords, of course).. 15 minutes before going home time, phone rings: "Is it fixed yet? I need it tomorrow for a conference." :o)

Reply to
Rob

We have it like that because each son has their own computer (well, the geek has two, one being FreeBSD!). We also have a public computer or two round the house, so roaming profiles make sense. Of course, it also makes backups easier...

Reply to
Bob Eager

You forgot to mention the other usual:

The laptop left for repair is without the power adapter and has only 2 minutes battery life remaining...

Reply to
><((

LOL - yes, you're bang-on there!

Reply to
Rob

I once opened a big box containing a monitor, keyboard, mouse and a pack of backup discs, together with a note saying the HDD appeared to be broken and could I fix it urgently. On phoning to ask for the system unit, I was told I couldn't have that as the HDD contained confidential information. So why give me the backup discs? Answer "they're encrypted so you cannot read them!".

Reply to
Jake

I know this isn't alt.usage.english but "each son has his own computer" sounds MUCH better ;-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Perfectly correct! Oops.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mine was running stable as anything for ages, until (I suspect) a Windows Update hosed it.

It doesn't yet crash often enough for me to be arsed to go collect and install either the original drivers or updates from Gigabyte, but I'm gradually accumulating the required circular tuits. OTOH it's coming up on time to blat and reinstall from scratch which I tend to do about annually, IME this saves time over fettling and failing a few times.

Reply to
Albert Ross