OT - Cloud Based distribution

I publish an on-line newsletter and would like to offer readers the option to access some lengthy appendices. I would like to just post a link for them to select.

I use Dropbox, but I believe the non-subscribers will be asked to set up an account.

Any ideas for a way of doing what I want that is really simple for a rather conservative readership?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

IIRC you also need a google account to access shared links to someone else's Google Drive (which is what I would otherwise have suggested).

Reply to
newshound

It may prompt them to login/register/not-bother, but it's only a minor annoyance.

In another group the other day I saw a link to a zip file on dropbox, doing it that way seemed to bypass the prompt, it just showed links to the list of files inside the zip ...

Using direct links to subpaths within the zip file also seem to bypass the prompts

Reply to
Andy Burns

tinyupload.com

max file size 50 MB.

No limit on downloads, but file is deleted after 100 days of inactivity

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Onedrive or Google Drive

No need for a gmail account if read-only suffices.

Reply to
Robin

Get your own website and hosting for zero or trivial cost (like a 'lite' account at TsoHost) and simply put the files on the web site for people to access.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, It really is that simple.

I could in theory set up such a plave with sftp access inside of ten minutes..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, you can share with just a link rather than just a named account holder. However if you do, then anyone with the link will be able to access the file.

Reply to
John Rumm

According to Google you can (still) share with an email address which is not a gmail account if you only need them to have read access

"Share with specific people

Under "People," enter the email address you want to share with.

Note: If you share with an email address that isn?t a Google Account, they?ll only be able to view the file."

Robin

No you share the link. Anyone can open it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You can do the same with BOX (box.com) rather than Dropbox. The link URLs consist of long strings of (seemingly) random characters - so people who haven't been given a link are unlikely to stumble on one accidentally (or through hacking attempts).

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well try this link on a machine not on dropbox and see if it asks you to set up an account.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:pps4j8$rh7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

There is a difference if you are already a user.

I need to find which offers the easiest way for readers to open a cloud based appendix - assuming they have never used a Cloud server before.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I tried it and it put up a "View or track your downloads" dialog box. I clicked on Download and, on the second attempt, and after about 1.5 minutes, it put up another dialog that asked me to install an install-on-demand component. Then I gave up. Maybe my setup doesn't like FLAC files.

Reply to
Max Demian

I suspect so, I wiped all dropbox.com cookies, clicked the link, firefox confirmed I wanted to use VLC to play it, which it did with no further prompts

Reply to
Andy Burns

This played for me OK (sound only?) , automatically opened by VLC after waiting some time for it to download without me asking.

Reply to
Dave W