OT Cicero

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it can not survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongs t those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the a lleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appear s not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly a nd unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects th e body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. ”
On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 06:29:19 -0800, harry wrote:

Yeah, Cicero had a bit of an issue with the Jews, to whom he refers to here. Classic bit of early anti-semitism.
On 04/11/2019 15:39, Chris wrote:

As every schoolboy knows Cicero (who died in 47BC) was referring to members of the Catiline conspiracy, Romans to a man. Some decades before there had been a vicious civil war led by Sulla and the conspirators were adherents of Sulla.
I doubt Cicero ever met a Jew or had even heard of them.
--
Change nospam to techie

On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 16:51:23 +0000, Another Dave wrote:

Oh, but I think you'll find he did!
CICERO (Marcus Tullius Cicero). First century B.C. Roman statesman, writer:
"Softly! Softly! I want none but the judges to hear me. The Jews have already gotten me into a fine mess, as they have many other gentleman. I have no desire to furnish further grist for their mills." (Oration in Defense of Flaccus)
Cicero was serving as defense counsel at the trial of Flaccus, a Roman official who interfered with Jewish gold shipments to their international headquarters (then, as now) in Jerusalem. Cicero himself certainly was not a nobody, and for one of this stature to have to "speak softly" shows that he was in the presence of a dangerously powerful sphere of influence. and on another occasion Cicero wrote: "The Jews belong to a dark and repulsive force. One knows how numerous this clique is, how they stick together and what power they exercise through their unions. They are a nation of rascals and deceivers."
Like I said, an early example of classic anti-semitism.

He was right, though, wasn't he?
On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 11:32:18 -0800, Grikbassturdo®™ wrote:

But that was 2,000 years ago ffs. Things have changed massively since then.

One day, the EU Referendum will be 2000 years ago - and they'll still be claiming that it reflects The Will Of The People.

--
Ian

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 21:34:41 -0000 (UTC), Dan Green

Indeed. The jew problem has increased massively since then ffs.
On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 21:34:41 +0000, Dan Green wrote:

Have they though? I'm seeing them constantly interfering with Brexit, trying to de-rail it. 99 out of a 100 of them want us to remain in the EU, against the wishes of the British people and they always get what they want. AFAICS, nothings changed.

You got that right. We've had constant inteference from 'speaker' John Bercow (né Berkowitz) (on secondment from the Knesset) and Oliver Letwin (né Letwinsky), the dishonourable member for Tel Aviv - Jaffa.
On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 05:12:33 -0800, Grikbassturdo®™ wrote:

Wot's all this? I thought the Labour Party Conference had finished by now! ;->
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 20:09:50 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

And that's where I first heard it!
Cicero is the name of a piece of OCR software for blind people.
--
Brian ----- --
On 04/11/2019 14:29, harry wrote:

Nigel Farage to a T.
--
Colin Bignell

On Monday, 4 November 2019 16:58:53 UTC, nightjar wrote:

cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidab le, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves am ongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all t he alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor ap pears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he w ears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies d eep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secret ly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infect s the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to f ear.”

I was thinking of the treasonous trio Cameron, May and Johnson.

That’s flagrantly dishonest. Farage is in fact very open about what he wants to see and is in fact an enemy of you remainers at the gates carrying his banner very openly indeed.