Dave Plowman (News)

It's going to be a three pipe story.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, a three pint one, anyway.

Reply to
Huge

snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

I used to just buy the condenser inserts for 10s of pence, great choice for bottom price mic apps. A good deal clearer than dynamic types.

Yes, I guess I overlooked the need for a buffering FET. Such things might be a mystery to the non-electronic minded. PS cathode resistor nfb makes simple FET buffers linear.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Not confusng condensor elements with electret ones are we? I wouldn't expect to find condensor elements for 10's of pence and they would be harder to work with than electret. A condensor element will need a supply for the polarising voltage that an electret has "permenantly" applied. An electret only needs a volt or two at minimal current for the built in FET buffer amp.

Agreed, for the same money. Dynamics can be very good but at at the tens of pence each level...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All I wanted is something that works in a quiet room of about 55 people :-)

Cheers folks for all your very knowledgeable answers, it's much appreciated.

Reply to
Dave

Electret mics are condensers and plenty of cheap ones around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try it and see - feeding the amp with a radio or CD of speech.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A little more detail in case its of use. They were definitely condenser mic inserts, used to run them off 3v, and the 1 fet buffers off somewhere in the 9-15v region. I always found low end condensers impressive for the cost, and the buffer used a source (cathode) resistor to bias it and keep it linear. I cant remember who the mic supplier was. IIRC the mics behaved a bit better if mounted on foam, less noise if banged. Silicone mounting was too rigid.

Sub =A310 dynamic mics are nowhere near as clear IME. And crystal - nasty. Thank god the days of carbon, crystal, moving iron etc are over.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Yes indeed just demonstrates that the amp is a part of the instrument;)..

None of that "Closest approach to the Original sound" as far as guitar amplification is concerned;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

For anyone who may be interested, I went to CPC and got this one, and it works a treat!! :-)

for all the help.

Reply to
Dave

I'm surprised there's enough gain with it being a low impedance type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)