OT] changing registration number on car

I'm contemplating buying a15yr old car (private sale) but the seller wants to retain his personalised number plate,not unreasonably I think. Does anyone know how difficult it is to register for a new plate on the car and how long it would take and any pitfalls? Don

Reply to
Donwill

Donwill gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If he wants to keep the plate, then the transfer is his problem.

Reply to
Adrian

If you have a DVLA office close by it can be done there and then. By post probably a week or so.

If the car wasn't owned by the previous chap from new it will probably get its original number back.

However, it's the seller who has to do all this if he wishes to keep his plate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, if he sells it to you and you do it its too late and he loses the plate. He needs to transfer it before the sale.

The car should already have a registration number from new and this can be put on the car now. AFAIK you register a new car and then transfer the plate, the original stays with the car unless it is also transferred to another vehicle.

Reply to
dennis

Not necessarily - you could transfer the number to a retention cert - this may be more expensive though.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Thanks for all contributions, have now spoken to seller who agrees he will change number/reregister or whatever, he was already aware, it was just my ignorance not his. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

JOOI & OT what happens to a vehicle number when the vehicle is scrapped. Does it return to the pool of numbers for sale to people as a personalised plate or is it lost forever?

Reply to
Andrew May

Andrew May gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Lost forever.

It can be transferred off for up to six months after the MOT expires, but only by the registered keeper, and they may well ask to inspect the donor vehicle to make sure there's no ringing going on.

Reply to
Adrian

I think they are kept so that they can be issued in future as an 'age related' plate. I bought an old car which had its original plate sold by the seller prior to my arrival and was substituted with an 'age related' plate which is not transferable.

mark

Reply to
mark

Not necessarily. If you buy a personal number which has not previously been issued from DVLC when the car is new, that number goes straight onto the car without it ever having an 'ordinary' number to revert to.

If you subsequently transfer this to another car, the original car then has to be issued with a brand new number of the right 'vintage'.

BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
Roger Mills

"mark" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The age related plates are ones which were never issued in the first place.

When a car "is scrapped", there's no way of knowing for sure if it has ACTUALLY been scrapped or not - it may resurface and be restored in the future. If there's documentary evidence linking the car and the plate, then the registration will be retained.

Reply to
Adrian

Probably a number that was never issued. Several low density of population areas like the NE of Scotland had unused numbers when the year letter came in. And those are the sort that are issued as age related. *RG and *RS from Aberdeen are two common ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I forgot about those things. There is a limit to how long they last though.

I wouldn't bother with a vanity plate myself.

Reply to
dennis

The plate on my car is absolutely unique. That's good enough for me.

Reply to
1501

TW 4 T would be a perfect number plate for you.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message ,

1501 writes
Reply to
geoff

Wnat are plates in the format "999 D 999" issued as? diplomatic use?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

Not if someone wants to avoid the congestion charge and has a similar car. there are scum who think nothing of forging number plates and/or registration stuff. Jail them all I say.

Reply to
dennis

While any old forgery would be fine for you.

Reply to
dennis