OT - Car Insurance Fiasco

So I called the Ins Co early December to try to get my wife's Fiesta insurance sorted, which is due early Jan. Was told that they cannot provide renewal earlier than 3 weeks in advance, so asked for a fresh quote. This was reluctantly provided at £640. The policy covers wife, myself and 22 year old daughter.

Two weeks later I get the official renewal document including premium £833!!

So I called Ins Co to get the price sorted and they said that the fresh quote would be honoured. But there were a couple of changes to make and further negotiations follow....

Start with new quote of £640 Increase annual milage from 10k to 12k - premium increase to £680 - OK

Here's the good bit.... Daughter's work status has changed from voluntary work to Trainee Accountant, but Ins Co doesn't have this title, so we simply add Accountant - premium increases to £809!!! Much spluttering and noises of disbelief from my end of the phone. So we try another job description equally appropriate of Accounts Assistant - premium reduces to £629!!!

From this I can only surmise that the premium offered includes a large percentage that is added based on perceived ability to pay (the policy does not cover business use).

Maybe there is a web site which lists job descriptions and the associated insurance surcharge (rip off).

I'll close by wishing to all everything they wish for themselves for 2015 (whether or not that be days filled with DIY).

Phil

Reply to
TheChief

There's your problem. Start by ditching the brand loyalty, and play with a meerkat. Ring the changes, and experiment to see what gives you a good premium.

Reply to
Adrian

And I believe delete cookies before you revisit so they cant track you have already had a quote...or so I was told, as the best quotes go to `new` customers.

Reply to
ss

Years ago, my broker told me that my insurers wanted a hefty surcharge because I worked in the entertainment industry, so he found me another company. I had always assumed because, we (the entertainment inductry) were renowned for wild parties and were more prone to accidents as a result. A couple of years ago I discovered the real reason. We might be called on to give someone lift home and that someone was a very high earner. Any accident which involved such a person could be very expensive for the insurer. I suspect the same applies to accountants and their wealthy clients.

Reply to
charles

The premium is based on the likelihood of becoming an alcoholic. Boring jobs with responsibility have the greater risk.

I can describe my job in various ways and I've seen the same with a difference in premiums.

To get the best quote you really do have to shop around each year. Often brand loyalty is rewarded with premiums that are 30 to 50% higher than you find being a new customer with another insurance company.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't think its really anything like that. Its simply that figures show t hat each different profession has different total costs to the insurer. The reasons why are many & varied, and I'm sure there are other factors with s howbiz, and with any of the categories. Certainly many are nonobvious.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Clearly qualifying as an accountant is a dangerous thing.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You should have called yourself a TV technician. They'd have thought you worked in a corner shop fixing them. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt cookies count for much, given your car reg plate, name, dob and inside leg measurement are already in their database ....

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 28 Dec 2014, TheChief grunted:

But you know as well as I do that a Trainee Accountant is not the same thing as an Accounts Assistant, is it?

For whatever reason (which you and I may or may not agree with), the insurers have decided that thet have different risks. Your risk, therefore, is that in the event of a claim involving youe daughter, they will disallow it based on the inaccurate job description.

ITYF that most high-risk occupations are not particularly highly-paid - musicians, publicans, for example. My wife is a doctor - reasonably paid, obviously, but doesn't get her premium loaded (even with business use).

This one comes pretty close, and is worth you looking at:

(or

Lobster

Insurance is all about statistics - i.e., how likely are you to claim on your policy and how much the claim is likely to be.

AFAIK the policy holder's profession is just another factor. Insurance companies use a database of professions and their likelihood of claiming based on past experience, and your quote is adjusted accordingly.

Reply to
JoeJoe

But it's not the same thing as an Accountant, either

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You're right of course but if you want a truly clean quote:

  1. Use an address 2 doors up.

  1. Enter car details rather than the reg.

  2. Alter DoB by a few days.

  1. Use fake name, phone nos and email addy.

Most insurers I have played this game with will let Mr Asdf Grityu change all those little details back and requote to pretty much the same figure when I am redirected to their site.

It's also let me find out which ones look up their current policy lists and inflate even comparison site quotes to the level of their quoted renewal premiums in an attempt to hide and enforce their new policy only discounts.

Reply to
fred

Also check the excess amounts. Some insurers will give a seeming competitive renewal quote but in reality they have changed the risk they are insuring by substantially increasing the excess amounts.

Reply to
alan_m

Be interesting to know the legal position if you obtain insurance based on false information?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/It's also let me find out which ones look up their current policy lists and inflate even comparison site quotes to the level of their quoted renewal premiums in an attempt to hide and enforce their new policy only discounts. /q

Did you find any that did? By how much were they inflating premiums?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

As all details are corrected and a requote obtained on the insurer's site before paying, the insurance if based wholly on truthful information.

Which was stated in the part of the post that you snipped.

Reply to
fred

In article , JimK writes

Hoh yes, and it was one of the bigees, AXA, Aviva and Royal Sun Alliance ring bells but for the life of me I can't find the (heated) correspondence that passed between us when I found out so I can't say for sure.

The amount was non-trivial, 70quid or so in a 400quid premium so 15-20%.

I was more than a little cross at the time and added them to my shit list but that's not much use if you can't remember who it was . . . .

It really just confirmed my view that they will all do whatever they can get away with if you let them so I have no qualms about checking the honesty of their quotes by using minor mods in my details to check competitiveness before submitting my true details for a final quote.

It has also saved a bit of spam as a number of comparison sites hide in their privacy policy that they will share your supplied email address with the 3 cheapest quote providers. An excellent reason to use an invalid address at least for that stage.

Reply to
fred

May not be necessary. Tesco for one will match 'new customer' prices without a quibble, asking for the quote ref to check that it is comparable to the renewal. (But this year I renewed with esure for £350 when Tesco couldn't get the new-customer price lower than £500; the renewal was £800+)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Almost a textbook explanation to how to trip the real time fraud detection system*s* ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk