OT: Building society savings rates

sfa
--
bert

And the return has just been reduced.
--
bert

On Saturday, 11 February 2017 17:28:01 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

nding to

,

?50k

Premium Bonds have just been cut too I was reading the other day.

A week or so ago the government announced a reduction in the prize fund from May 2017. So no longer as good.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/savings/premium-bond-prize-cuts-may-2017-odds-winning/
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org
On 12/02/17 12:04, Alan Dawes wrote:

2.17million £25 prizes vs 2.27million in May 2016 - down, but not by that much (4% reduction). It is still very favourable compared to savings accounts *if* you can save a sufficient sum to see regular returns.
Premium bonds are highly underrated.
Max Demian submitted this idea :

I didn't want an account where it needed a level of funds going in or one where it had to have so many utility bills going out via DD. I am already tied into such an account. I also wanted one where I could instantly withdraw.
On 11/02/2017 17:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Do what?
> I am

That applies to mine. And (at least for the Barclays one), I can draw money out, and pay it back in again, without violating the ISA rules. (It's a _flexible_ ISA.)
--
Max Demian

on 11/02/2017, Max Demian supposed :

Many/most of the accounts I found insist on there being so much per month paid in, 2 or 3 DD's for utilities and a monthly fee for the account. I didn't want any of that, I just wanted somewhere where I could lodge a lump sum and have it earn some interest, yet have access to it when and should I need it.
On 11/02/2017 21:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

You can open two tesco bank current accounts and get 3% on £3k in each if that helps. No fees, and no minimum pay in or DDs.
Just make sure you don't get hacked by using a good password and two party login (I assume its available but haven't checked).
dennis@home was thinking very hard :

Well, that would help a bit - I will take a look, thanks..
Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :

I cannot seem to find that one, the best I could find was 0.96%, or 3% for a Junior Cash ISA intended for the under 18's.
On 12/02/2017 10:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Its the actual current account not a saver. It looks like its only for the first two years.
dennis@home brought next idea :

Have you a direct link to the account please?
On 12/02/2017 17:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

They have suspended applications due to demand, some fool posted about it on the net and they have been swamped.
It may or may not reappear.
was thinking very hard :

well of course some fool posted about it on the net
there are hundreds of such sites with info about good offers, there are even some where you can find out what your local supermarket currently has in its marked-down cabinet - which unless you are standing outside the store at the time it is posted will almost certainly be gone before you get there
what did/do they expect?
tim
That sounds like a cop out to me. They often put in some clause A copy out how much of the capital you can get access to fast, since of course the whole point of a building society is that they are using that to lend money and of course fund their activities and have to make a reasonable profit themselves.
Brian
--
----- -
Sounds like a load of tosh to me. Unless its some kind of special case . Brian
On 11/02/2017 08:17, Brian Gaff wrote:

Having checked banks, ISas and most other things that dont have a high risk I opted a couple of years back to load some into Premium Bonds and so far I reckon on having made around 3% per year. I also top loaded my OVO utlity account which gives 3% but max of £1000 only allowed.