[OT] Black Friday - WTF is it?

O for a universal camelcamelcamel-type history of retail prices.

The original legal requirement for goods to have been on sale on Rockall for five minutes sometime in the last six years for personal callers only requirements have been so comprehensively worked around, we need something else. I suggest "retailers must show full price history of everything they sell and this must be as readily accessible as everything else on their websites" and even "and can be used by anyone else for any purpose they want". Hey - Gridwatch for retail!

Reply to
polygonum

I'd imagine very carefully if it's got any sharp edges or corners.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Can't see any sharp bits. Its the Evolution one and it was cheaper than the evo_outlet are doing them (they are £50). They were in Screwfix for £50 too.

Reply to
dennis

Quidwatch?

Reply to
PeterC

Like it!!

+1
Reply to
polygonum

Well in simple terms its US crap finding its way into UK culture ... Black Friday is the start of Xmas in US as its the day after Thanksgiving holiday. Most of US has day off and go spend.

We will probably start having Thanksgiving specials in UK soon

Reply to
rick

If we celebrated Thanksgiving in the UK, wouldn't it be on July 4th?

Reply to
Huge

:->>>

Reply to
Tim Watts

Like Tottenham Riots but without the fires.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Sorry. You forfeit the right to whine and whinge about Black Friday if you are a supporter of that other American travesty.

Reply to
Richard

Halloween - as you might guess by the name - was celebrated in Scotland before 'America' was discovered. It was mass immigration of the Scots to America in the 19th century which made it popular there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hide it in a corner of the lounge with a cloth over it.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I neither knew nor cared, just offering my best guess at answering your question. :-)

Now that you've revealed the lack of any sharp edges or corners, I'll amend my reply to "Very Nicely?" :-)

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. ;-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

And pumpkins are much easier to carve than turnips, which were the original Hallowe'en lanterns.

Reply to
S Viemeister

They last longer too. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seeing one of those 'sales' on TV, people were fighting over a large screen TV (40"+?) which was labelled HD ready on the box. So presumably not even last year's model - but older still?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah, a best guess for such celebrations would be the 6th of September according to the wikipedia article here:

Reply to
Johny B Good

OOI one of the firms I unsubscribed getting emails from had a survey box asking why I was doing so wich I duly filled in.

Did any of the ones you deal with come up with anything similar?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Yeah, I think most of us got that

the point is no-one has ever shoved this down out throat BEFORE this year

tim

Reply to
tim.....

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Just greedy pigs taking whatever is in the trough. Would they understand a specification?

Reply to
DerbyBorn