[OT] Black Friday - WTF is it?

It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of which I do regular business with:
#####
Oi, you lot!
Black Friday - never heard of it before.
All I know is I have been deluged with SPAM about the bloody thing for the last few days.
Can you all please remove me from your mailing lists. I use "throwaway" email addresses for each vendor I deal with so you are looking for any email address ending in:
<redact personal stuff>
Seriously - if I get any more SPAM, particularly in the levels I have been experiencing I will cease doing business with the offenders.
This would be a shame in the specific case of Ocado, Lampspecs and Porretta as they all are good businesses.
But I've had enough with wading through marketing cr*p.
Thank you,
Tim Watts put finger to keyboard:

Maybe the "Black" in Black Friday refers to your mood? ;-)
On 28/11/14 12:48, Scion wrote:

Pretty much ;->
It's rare I actually "get stroppy" dirctly with a supplier, but I've found that when I have (and it's is well deserved - I will always be polite in the case of a genuine mistake) they tend to come back quite quickly.
Like when I moaned at MINI because they wanted an all day booking to look at a knocking on SWMBO's Mini. All I wanted them to do was ramp it and tell me if a spring was broken. I did not expect it fixed on the spot. And the earliest they could look was in a week.
As it happened, I discovered a "shocks and brakes and tyres" place called HiQ that I didn't know existed down the road. the owner (it's a franchise) was decent, helpful and very smart about various common car faults. He gave me a specific appointment the next day. 30 mins after rolling up, they'd verified the sprinsg were fine and isolated the fault to an anti roll bar bush which was not critical. However, they said "factors up the road have the part, if you wait 50 mins we can fix it". They did, and for £70 all in including the time they'd spent with 2 blokes on the ramp rocking it around to find the noise.
They just made themselves a customer for 2 cars for all the stuff they do :)
I would not have worried about a worn bush, but as I was out of there for less than Mini would have charged for a diagnostic, I was happy.
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:

Just think yourself lucky we don't have thanksgiving yet!
BTW its black eye friday, well it is in asda and tesco..
On 28/11/14 12:52, Dennis@home wrote:

So I can eat 2 turkeys?
Bollocks to that...

I can imagine. Poor moron consumers...
On Friday, 28 November 2014 14:44:40 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

I really wouldn;t want to be in a shop with those consumers.... they acted like animals (untrained animals) my cat behaves better.
On 01/12/2014 13:57, whisky-dave wrote:

Cats are class
On 01/12/14 18:48, stuart noble wrote:

Cats eat your food and would then happily claw your head off and **** down your windpipe as soon as look at you...
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:

How did you manage to avoid it? It is a pre-emptive January sale imported from the US where they celebrate Thanksgiving Day with vast amounts of overcooked turkey and overdose on sickly sweet pumpkin pie.
Are retailers obliged to pay for the extra policing that their marketing frenzy has provoked in deranged bargain hunters?

I expect it will get even worse when we become the 51st US state.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 28/11/14 13:45, Martin Brown wrote:

We aren't already?
But that will piss off Jose Barrosso.

Yeah, I think most of us got that
the point is no-one has ever shoved this down out throat BEFORE this year
tim
On Friday, November 28, 2014 12:39:01 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

Given that it's more guff from the US, I'm surprised they're not calling it "Friday of Color".

I try to make sure I'm never signed up for marketing emails, so I've had very few emails regarding it.
Bit annoying though when I wanted to go on a website and I can't because it's been overloaded
--
Chris French

On 28/11/14 14:39, Chris French wrote:

I always tick/untick the boxes as appropriate - hasn't stopped the bastards though.

ha ha very good.. Yes another crap US import - like US'zed halloween.
On 28/11/14 14:39, jake wrote:

At least halloween can be fun in a well behaved village community where people knows what's expected of them (ie we do not bother people who don't have a pumpkin out). I enjoyed taking the kids out - going as either Dracula or the Grim Reaper or Charon next year :)
Black Friday is just another bloody sale. I guess it gives something for DFS to pop in between "End of Summer Sale" and "Boxing Day".
"Tim Watts" wrote in message

Sorry. You forfeit the right to whine and whinge about Black Friday if you are a supporter of that other American travesty.
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:

It's a US marketing scam that has come over to the UK
Retail outlets sell goods at a "discount" on Black Friday. In reality the price they are charging is the same as it was last week, last month and higher than the price they will charge in January.
I see that an item I purchased last week is now has a MASSIVE 30% off -- which matches exactly the price I paid with the previous "we pay the VAT and postage" offer.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Y'know our Boxing Day sales? Digest the turkey by queueing up for shit you don't want or need?
It's that. But a month early.

Ah, that would be annoying.
I've not had any unexpected ones, including not Ocado. Maybe they think I'm to much of a skinflint. :-)
--
Chris French