OT: another random Windows question

Does anyone know why, when you sort the icons on the Desktop by name, Windows 10/11 puts them into two separate alphabetical lists?

Reply to
Scott

Have you got a "group by" option selected as well as a "sort by" option?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I can't find that one in W11. I'm looking at Sort by > Name.

Reply to
Scott

"Group By" is a sub option of the "Sort" menu from the top menu (or do they consider it a ribbon nowadays?).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by the top menu. If I right click the Desktop then select 'Sort by', the options are 'Name', 'Size', 'Item type' and 'Date modified'. I cannot find 'Group by' but I think you are right it should be removed.

Reply to
Scott

I mean inside "File Explorer" or "Windows Explorer" but of course it doesn't put its own name in its window title nowadays ...

Andy Burns

Thanks. I went to File Explorer and set it to Group by > None but the Desktop still splits icons into two alphabetical lists. I never solved it in W10 so I don't suppose W11 is much different :-(

Reply to
Scott

Probably one list for all users C:\Users\Public\Desktop

and another list specific for you C:\Users\Scott\Desktop

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks, but still showing no group by (sort by name) and still displaying two alphabetical lists. I don't suppose it really makes any great difference.

Reply to
Scott

But do the two lists correspond to the contents of the two folders above?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Now you have hit the nail on the head. The first list appears in the public folder and the second list appears in the Scott (user) folder.

Can I just put them into the same folder?

Reply to
Scott

If you're the only user of the machine, depending on which direction you move them, you might need to deal with a few UAC pop-ups ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm sure I can cope with that. You have solved a mystery that has puzzled me for many years. Thanks.

Reply to
Scott

I still think Ribbon menus over complicates things on some applications. There are times when grouping thins in ribbons work and there are times when they don't and it seems that they are so stuck in the ribbon dogma they use them for everything. Luckily short cut keys do still work. Bah humbug. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff