OT: Android management

Apologies for OT subject, but there are some smart and helpful people here!
I've managed to get something on my Moto G5 (android 7) which mucks around with power management in the background when I open the phone from standby. Apart from also popping up adverts for other (useless) apps, it turns off bluetooth and wifi when it thinks the battery is a bit low, which can be a PITA.
Can anyone recommend an app to help me find what is doing this, so that I can uninstall it?. The couple of startup managers which I have looked at seem to be useless.
As a supplementary, are there benefits from rooting Android devices or is it risky? My IT experience goes back a long way, but I'm not really up to date with modern stuff.
I run Ccleaner and Malwarebytes (on W10 as well) but have never dug very far into Android.
newshound wrote:

Checked Dad's android phone at xmas, he'd managed to pick up all manner of shit in the course of a year, just uninstall everything you don't recognise, bearing in mind there can be some "convincing sounding" apps that do what it doesn't say on the tin.

8 years I did root my first android phone, in order to get it to do stuff I wanted to do, haven't rooted any of the last three phones or two tablets because stock android has improved now ... some I have put non-stock firmware on, but not rooted. You're more at risk from dodgy apps when rooted and some e.g. banking and tv streaming apps won't run.
On 09/01/2018 21:01, Andy Burns wrote:

I didn't *think* I could see anything dodgy in the apps list, but just uninstalled one called "Installer" which had the same gearwheel logo as "Setup", perhaps that was it!

Thanks, that was just the sort of feedback I was looking for. Currently *don't* run banking apps on the phone, only from my (large) desktop machine.
On 09/01/2018 21:01, Andy Burns wrote:

What does rooted mean?
Bill
Bill Wright wrote:

Runs as the underlying root user (full linux admin) letting you bypass restrictions including shoot your own feet.
On 09/01/2018 21:21, Bill Wright wrote:

It's gaining access to the root directory (which you don't normally have in Android), at which point you can screw up the device completely. Like being a Superuser.
But it means you can remove all the crap that the manufacturer foists on you.

Its fucked.
Actually this the usual argument of shall I grant myself super user status or not. I guess like most operating systems it seems there are pros and cons to both tactics. I've not gone into smart phones as yet, but the arguments between android and Apple seem to revolve, at least for me, between which runs the apps I will need and which is cheaper, the answers to these two questions, unfortunately are not the same. Brian
--
----- -
On 10/01/2018 09:34, Brian Gaff wrote:

There are mostly cons to going around juggling a running chainsaw and carrying a loaded shotgun with the safety catch off - which is pretty much what being a super user all the time means in concrete terms.
Putting in a password to do dangerous things is not too onerous.
Having the ability to transition to super user is fine, but sitting with that level of system privilege all the time courts disaster.

You can usually find most apps or close equivalents on both platforms unless you want something very Apple iThingy specific.
Android kit is generally a lot cheaper than iRipoff brands (although to be fair the Apple hardware is very well made). MotoG is about as good as you can for price performance cheap smartphone with decent battery life.
One of my key requirements is a decent battery life in poor signal.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Precisely why Lineage asks permission every time an application requests su¹. The major reason for me to root is control over processes that would otherwise be running unsupervised. Root enables things like fortifying the system-wide hosts file, as one example that immediately springs to mind.
With Xposed framework installed, it is also possible to cloak root from applications which check for its presence. While all of this seems convoluted, we arrive at the point where your device can be connected to a cellular network and not be leaking PII like a sieve while using up your data allowance. It all depends on what your priorities are and how resistant to tapping "allow" before you actually read what's requesting su privs your fingers are.
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Agreed. Only the totally technically challenged need consider an iPhone, or those already heavily into the Apple eco-system.

Yep, iPhone users I know have to top up the battery during a single day. As a moderate user, my Moto 5 can manage three days.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 10:37:24 UTC, Chris Whelan wrote:

Isnlt that more down to who you know and how they use any device. On monday I had my iphone 85% charge I left it at work came in the next morning it was at 70% charge. A lady this morning was using her non iphone on the bus watching youtube videos of cats. I think it depends how often and what you are doing that dictates how often you NEED to charge a phone. A game I play on my piad for 30mins drops the battery level by 20-25%, so I have an understanding of such things and typically don't bother charging my iphone more than once in 3 days.

Nope. Plenty of even the best droids have pathetic time between charges with normal phone use. Mate of mine had to be very careful with his Samsung S7 to not run out of battery during the garage sale run.

I only charge my 6S twice a week and use it for all phone calls now.

Yes, but even with normal phone use, not using it for watching videos or playing games, even the samsungs do a lot worse than iphones time between charges wise.

Me too and I don’t do anything special use of the phone wise.

Don't agree with that. The main reason I prefer them is so that I don't have to worry about malicious apps. Very very few of them with the apple ecosystem and there isnt much they can do anyway due to sandboxing.
So I am free to use the phone for net banking etc and know that even if someone steals the phone or I manage to leave it behind accidentally, there is nothing anyone can do with the phone.
Unlike droids which can do android pay transactions without being unlocked.

I don't. I only charge my 6S twice a week and I now use it for all phone calls and use it a lot during the garage sale run to coordinate opening times and to navigate to the door with the ones that include their street number in the ad in the paper and to update my own facebook garage sale group on the fly.

So does my 6S.

And stops you using android pay, now renamed google pay too.

Specially with droids so easy to end up with malicious apps.

There are some things Apple chooses to not allow any app to do, like record all incoming and outgoing calls automatically in case you want to check some detail mentioned in a phone call etc.
But he appears to be saying that some apps he wants are only available for the more expensive apple smartphones.

newshound wrote:

Why not just reset it to factory defaults and start again?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 09/01/18 20:49, newshound wrote:

ES File Explorer?
That got my order of the boot, when it became unbelievably spammy.
--
Adrian C

On 09/01/18 22:46, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Yeah I installed that lasy night on te basis iy allowed NFS file mouinting according to someone on thenet.
It didnt. Its gone

On 09/01/2018 22:46, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Thanks, removed! Also ES Task Manager (just in case).
ISTR finding them useful on my first Android tablet (but that was some time ago).

and here, but it was originally very useful is there any alternative now that works as well ?
-